Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    iTunes questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iTunes questions
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted
In my iTunes folder, I have 2 items: iTunes Music folder and iTunes Library. What is the difference between these 2? And what is the difference between when I bring a song into iTunes by using the Add to Library command and when I bring a song in using the Import command? I dont see any difference between the two. Thanks

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
The iTunes Music folder contains the playable files.
The iTunes Library is an XML database file that you can think of as the Card Catalog for the files.

Import/Add -- Almost the same thing -- iTunes Help says:
=====
When you import a song from a CD, a copy of the song is placed in your iTunes Music folder (in [Your Home Folder]/Music/iTunes), so that all your imported music files are in the same location on your computer.

When you add an item to your iTunes library by dragging it to the iTunes window (or choosing File > Add to Library), a copy is also placed in the iTunes Music folder. You can change this setting so that the item appears in iTunes without being add to the Music folder. You might want to do this so that, for example, you could save video files in a location other than your hard disk.
=====
So, Import copies to iTunes folder and catalogs the import.
Add catalogs the addition and may or may not copy it to the iTunes folder.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
In my iTunes folder, I have 2 items: iTunes Music folder and iTunes Library. What is the difference between these 2? And what is the difference between when I bring a song into iTunes by using the Add to Library command and when I bring a song in using the Import command? I dont see any difference between the two. Thanks

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post