Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    iTunes Library Location and Backing Up Suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iTunes Library Location and Backing Up Suggestions
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I'm in the process of procuring a new iMac and I'm trying to figure out the best place to keep my 20+ GB iTunes Library.

The structure I've been working with for a long time was two internal drives, one is my main boot disk and the other held all my audio/video. Then one of my drives failed so I have migrated all audio/video to an external drive. This external drive becomes corrupted and I lose data almost weekly. I'd rather keep everything on the internal drive and just use the external for backup.

Now, I'm also used to backing up my Users directory to DVD with Retrospect and I don't want to have to back up my entire music collection.

So, I think I have a few options:
1.) Partition the iMac's internal drive to have a boot disk and an audio/video disk.
2.) Create an audio/video directory at the root level (outside of the users directory) and place the iTunes library there.

Having been burned by running out of space on a partition and having to juggle data around to "re-claim" space, I'm not a fan of partitioning any more. So I'm opting for option 2.

Do you see any negatives with option 2?

How do you manage your large iTunes libraries?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Partitioning your internal seems like a bad idea to me too. Running out of room on the boot drive is a bad thing.

I think you should consider a new external - there is no reason that drive should be corrupted every week unless there's something wrong or incompatible with it.

Rather than move your files, why not have Retrospect skip them? It can't be that hard, even with Retrospect's obtuse interface, to exclude the Music or iTunes directory.

Personally, I'd back it up anyway. After the main backup, won't Retrospect skip it until you do another full? You music files should never change (maybe you'll add/subtract some, but the files themselves won't). Why would you not want them backed up?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Following up:

Disk Usage and replacement -

Follow Jack's good advice.

Retrospect -
Edit the script
Click Selecting
Create an appropriate rule
Save

Music files -

The only file that changes regularly for iTunes on a Mac are
iTunes Music Library.xml
iTunes Library

For my 43.39GB iTunes folder, these files are 5.1MB and 7MB, hardly worth worrying about.

Additional Data -

For me, Retrospect excludes only the Virtual Disk files for my Parallels VM, I back all other User data.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't realize that Retrospect Express had the ability to exclude certain items. Maybe that was the older version that I was using prior to the version that came with my Maxtor Drive (see below). I think that will solve my problem.

I will back up the users directory to DVD with Retrospect Express and the rest will be backed up to the external with CCC/Super Duper.

RE: External Drive
The external drive I have is a new one. A Maxtor One Touch. I've had problems with it in one form or another from the beginning (starting with god awful write speeds when plugged into FW400). The corruption seems to take place when I have another volume mounted (like an ipod). It might be related to sleep too. I've just chalked it up to issues with my old old B&W G3 and I've been hanging on to see if it got better with the imac. I suppose I should check into sending it back, but I don't have a suitable replacement until the imac arrives.

Thanks again.

Brian

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Brian,

I don't know about Retrospect Express. I only can speak about Retrospect.

Sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R.:
Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't realize that Retrospect Express had the ability to exclude certain items. Maybe that was the older version that I was using prior to the version that came with my Maxtor Drive (see below). I think that will solve my problem.
<SNIP/>

Brian

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Drive space is relitively cheap these days (it's never been cheaper). And we're only talking 20GB's of stuff right now which isn't very much. Even if you doubled it, it would only be 40GB.

Get a nice big internal drive for your iMac such as a 500GB or 1TB drive. Buy an equal or larger external drive for backups. Since the iMac will be new with Leopard, ditch Retrospect and use Time Machine to backup to the external. Once the initial Backup is done, Time Machine will only backup the files that Jim spoke of above.

To answer your question about how we handle large libraries:

My iTunes folder is currently (checking) 199.25GB (I've been converting DVDs for Apple TV). My boot drive is 1TB external (only because I couldn't figure out how to get to the existing internal drive to replace it). This iMac G5 is dedicated to iTunes (it's our media server). I back it up to a 1TB Time Capsule using Time Machine.

Since I'm very backup conscious, I'll probably add one more external 1TB drive to this for the occasional SuperDuper clone and offsite storage.

At some point I will probably upgrade this iMac to an intel iMac with a 1TB drive built in.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Two backup drives are much better than one. Just when you need something from your single backup, the drive will fail. I won't tell how I know this.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Great comments!

I forgot about Time Machine. I think that will be a perfect solution. However, I'll still probably use Retrospect to back up /Users to DVD (excluding music/video data). That way I'll have rotatable sets for offsite storage and archiving to a certain extent.

I'm not sure that I'm going to be ready to bust open a new iMac to swap out HD's. If I get one with a 320 GB HD, it will match my external and I should have decent room to grow. I've only amassed about 75 GB of data over the last 10 years or so. I'll worry about swapping drives later.

Thanks,
Brian