Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    e-mail an iphoto slideshow?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

e-mail an iphoto slideshow?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted
How can I e-mail a 12 minute picture slideshow with sound to a friend? I tried the share option (240x180) but the file is still too big to e-mail over 130 MB. I don't have a .mac account, Quicktime Pro or any way of posting it on a webpage. Is there a way to say it smaller in size without having to buy something?

Thanks,
Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Email is always the worst way to send large files.
Lacking your own site to place the file for retrieval, try using one of the many free file upload sites recently discussed here on the iBBS. One frequently mentioned is www.yousendit.com.
Their free service is limited to 100MB, but larger files can be put up for a reasonable fee.
Some of the other similar services might offer storage of larger size files on their free tier.
You could also go for the 60 day free trial membership at dot mac to tide you over.
Who's your ISP? Most, like Comcast, offer members web space with some amount of storage as part of their account.
There's also the equivalent bandwidth (at the expense of speed) of a CD-ROM in an envelope on FedEx or Express Mail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck Reti,

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck--
What about if I want to shrink the file--is there a way to do that?

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Under Mac OS X, Control-click / right-click on a file. Select the item: "Create Archive of 'filename'." This will zip compress the file. The recipient's machine should extract (unzip) the file back to its original form and size. Keep in mind, however, that the slideshow is in the form of a Quicktime MPEG-4 movie file, which is already very compressed. I made up a slideshow in iPhoto, exported it as a 320x240 movie with sound. Size was 36.8MB. Zipped it and size was only very slightly smaller at 35.9MB. The basic truth is that image files are large, even when compressed as much as they are able to be. Again I suggest the CD-ROM / Express Mail low speed file transfer option. Smile

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post