Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    My iTunes account hacked !
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My iTunes account hacked !
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted
I've been accessing iTunes for years and have downloaded hundreds of songs but starting last night my password keeps getting rejected. I thought maybe I forgot it, so I reset it and still it doesnt work. so far I've reset it 5 times to no avail. Plus, every time I reset my password, then they ask me if I'd like to Retreive my password. I've sent iTunes Support an email and am awaiting their response but maybe MacGroup has some suggestions. I thought of just applying for a new Apple id and starting over but I have $23 from a gift card left on that name. So, any suggestions on what I can do? Is there anyone to Call?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick,

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
Well, heres an update on this problem. Apple replied quickly and told me the reason I couldnt sign in was that someone had changed my logon id and password. they also reset my secret account question and password. Apple reset my logon id back to what it should be and I changed my password on both itunes and AOL. But this person charged $24 worth of items to my gift card (thank god I had no charge card associated with the account). I checked my account history and submitted to Apple an problem notice saying I didnt purchase those items and asked if they could tell me the logon id they were sent to- hoping it might be something or someone I recognize. I also asked if a refund were possible. The downloaded items were some Sims games for a Windows machine. Lets see if I get a helpful response from Apple but I sure am curious as to how they got my password in the first place. My network is password protected.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this 2 year old discussion on MacRumors of all the people saying their iTunes account was hacked. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=407990

Well here it is 2 years later and it happenned to me, so it looks like they havent solved the problem. My advice to anyone is to go into your iTunes account and remove any links to a credit card or checking account. Just pay for things with a gift card. At least if your account is hacked, you'll only lose the amount left on the gift card. I know any credit card fraud is limited to $50 but believe me, the hassle of getting fraudulent items off your account is not worth it.