Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    bridge and iphoto
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bridge and iphoto
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
during the Elements 6 presentation a question was raised using iphoto/edit in bridge/elements

when bridge asks to browse,,, do you open iphoto?
or shall I ask where are the iphotos located ???

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry let me clarify,,,if I want to add keywords in bridge using the folders I already have in iphoto,,,where do I locate those pictures that I want to give keywords ( in iphoto)

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Path to iPhoto Library:
User/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
The iPhoto library folder structure is really not intended to be messed with outside of iPhoto. That's why Apple decided to put all your photos in a Package in iLife '08 so that people wouldn't go messing around in there.

If you start adding things to your photos outside of iPhoto such as keywords and other metadata, it "may" confuse iPhoto. You could be asking for trouble down the road with iPhoto. So be forewarned!

My workflow is basically to only import photos into iPhoto AFTER they are DONE in my Adobe apps and ONLY those photos that I want to put on Apple devices such as iPhone, Apple TV, etc. or that I wish to make calendars from.

I use Lightroom for my day to day cataloging, processing and organizing. When I have my best shots ready to be shared/displayed, I export only those shots as JPEGs and import only those shots into iPhoto.

Currently my iPhoto Library is really screwed up with some missing images that it won't let me point to where they are now, some thumbnails showing the wrong pictures (no matter how many times I let it rebuild the whole thing) and other weird anomalies. So I'm at the point of wanting to start fresh with a new library and again only importing those shots that I want to use for the things I've outlined above that iPhoto does best.

I just checked the size of my iPhoto library and it says 4.6GB in the Finder!!! So it really is time for me to start over! By my estimates, it shouldn't be more than a few hundred megabytes at best.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Continuing on Terry's lead....

I do not use iPhoto to manage my images.

I use iPhoto to rapidly produce slide shows of event still photos. I set the iPhoto preferences to NOT copy the original images to the iPhoto Library. After producing the output, I then rename the iPhoto Library to <project-name>-iPhoto Library.

Next time I use iPhoto, I create a new library, but have the old one preserved for a time in case changes are required. This keeps the iPhoto Library small and fast, with the old library(s) available for a time, just in case.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Again ,,another very simple questio I ask now gets into the dark side of photo management :}

So in essence when I download pictures,, I will use image capture , then an assumed picture folder somewhere on the desktop,, open elements,, keyword and metadata,,, then take the favorites and plug them into iphoto

Jim,,,how do you create the new iphoto-library??

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
As near as I can tell, iPhoto and Lightroom do not play well together with respects to keywords but iPhoto and Aperture do. There may be other issues with Lightroom and iPhoto that go away with iPhoto and Aperture. Sorry Terry, correct me if I'm wrong.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 841 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Lightroom and keywords:
Lightroom keeps all of it's metadata in the LR catalog while you work. However, at any time you can select your images and hit Command-S to write the metadata to the actual files. You can also turn on a preference that will continuously write your metadata changes to the files, but this may impact your performance depending on your setup. Metadata (such as keywords) are also written automatically to the files that you export. So say you import a camera RAW file from your card. You then do some exposure adjustments and add keywords, titles, descriptions, copyright, etc. When you export that image to JPEG for example, all of that data is written to the JPEG file.

iPhoto and Keywords:
iPhoto keeps its keywords in the iPhoto library no matter what! So if you ever decide to export or take your photos OUT of iPhoto, the keywords DON'T come with them! iPhoto WILL recognize and import the keywords already placed on images from Adobe products such as Bridge and LR. However, it's a one way street! Once they go in, they don't come back out. So unless you plan to live ONLY in iPhoto, doing keywords in iPhoto is a waste!

Can't speak to Aperture as I've never used it.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
One last word of warning:
I thought it was a GREAT thing that Apple added the ability for iPhoto to import images into it's library, but REFERENCE them in their original folders. In other words the ability NOT to copy the images into the iPhoto Library. So I started using that feature. Inevitably I ended up moving some of the pictures to another drive after the fact. So now iPhoto not only doesn't know where the pictures are (no surprise there), but it doesn't offer me the ability to FIND THEM. That's it, I'm stuck! It also doesn't identify WHICH pictures it doesn't know the location for anymore either. If it did, then I could simply delete them from iPhoto and reimport them. So I'm stuck with orphaned photos and every time I rebuild my iPhoto library, iPhoto throws up a warning message about each and every one INDIVIDUALLY!

So I'm done with this screwed up Library. I'm backing it up tonight, taking it off my drive and starting a new one from scratch. I've learned! iPhoto doesn't work the way I do. So I'll use it as I've outlined above and for nothing else.

----

dont copy

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
so it sounds like really an all or none situation
either you use iphoto 100% or use lightroom or Bridge,,,but don't try to mix and match cause you'll eventually get burned if you do????

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I mix, but I know about the problems to expect. That is why my iPhoto Librarys are ephemeral.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
now Jim ,,,I have to open Dictionary and look up ephemeral!

ephemeral |əˈfem(ə)rəl|
adjective
lasting for a very short time : Iphoto libraries are ephemeral. Smile