Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Adding a pdf or doc file
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding a pdf or doc file
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
Thank you to all with your help on our website
dcmensclub.org

We are having a fundraising walk and I would like to add either a PDF file or .doc file thaat people can print off to pledge their walk miles?? Anyone
have any ideas?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by janp:
Thank you to all with your help on our website
dcmensclub.org

We are having a fundraising walk and I would like to add either a PDF file or .doc file thaat people can print off to pledge their walk miles?? Anyone
have any ideas?

You can design your document in almost any App (Appleworks comes to mind) and if you are running OS X, you can print it as a PDF and upload it to your site and link to it. Also provide a link to the download for the Adobe Reader (like Terry does with the newsletter so people can get it if they don't have it.

These files will be slightly larger than if someone did it professionally in Indesign or Acrobat (which allows you to reduce file size for the web), but for a single sheet, size and download time shouldn't be an issue.

If THEY do need it as .doc file, I would have them request it by email or provide another link to the .doc file from the site.

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Art
thanks for the reply

when you say upload it,,where does Iweb allow me to insert a pdf file?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
when I drag the pdf file over to Iweb it opens it onto the existing page

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You need to put it in your Public folder on your iDisk and then make a link to it in iWeb. You can't just drag it to iWeb.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
So there's no way just to put the icon that Terry uses to download the newsletter on Iweb?

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
Put it in your Site Folder (not the Public Folder) on iDisk. Then you can put an icon on your iWeb page that will link to it.

If you would like an example, check out this site:
http://childrenofeden.wbschools.net/

The icon for Nelson Hersh is linked to a PDF. If you click on it, opens the pdf in your browser. If you hold the Option key, it will download.

The Children of Eden Cast is also a pdf. The Plot is a simple html page from Word. All are in the Site folder so I can link to them.

Let me know if you need help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jamie,

Jamie

Posts: 554 | Location: West Bloomfield | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Looks relatively simple ,,,I'll try it then contact you if I need assistance ,,,Thanks a ton everyone

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to get an icon or a downloadable PDF on your site? You seem to be switching gears here.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
I assume you are interested in providing a link for people to get Reader if they don't have it. (They will have to have it to read the pdf you post for download.)

Once the icon is in place, it has to be linked to the page on Adobe's site where people can download Reader. The icon alone won't do anything.
Look here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

This page also lists a "Reader LE," but I don't know the difference.
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Look at this page for getting the icon.
http://www.adobe.com/misc/linking.html#linking

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack
I was really thinking to add both as Art had suggested put the file up and then have the icon for Adobe to download reader if necessary

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
jnap,

First you do not need to put the pdf or .doc in any folder in your iDisk, iWeb does it for you. Well, you can but iWeb will put it where it belongs.

Yes, you can post a .pdf for viewing without needing to make it open in a pdf viewer. As you noticed it's a drag and drop on a blank page. If you do it this way, you may want to consider making the page ratio longer, since by default your page view is 700x400, you might want something like 700x800, so you can view the whole page.

You can add a link (either text or icon) to a file, which will download and/or view or go to another website. iWeb>inspector>hyperlink button (blue circle with arrow)>type a bit of text in your page (or add/drag in an icon)>highlight text (or icon)>check "enable as hyperlink">select the pdf on your computer. When you publish your page, the file is automatically uploaded to your idisk. You can link a .doc, file of photos, whatever. One of the nice things about doing it this way, if you change the .pdf but retain the same name, republishing the page will load the new/improved .pdf. You don't have to recreate the website or the link.

I do this on my website to give my family this option if they want a better resolution of pictures than what is on the website, I always provide a link to a zip file of full-resolution photos. This way they can "see" and "download".

My personal preference when it comes to viewing pdfs in web pages is to NOT drag and drop. It changes the resolution of the pdf and they look grainy. Creating a link that will open in a pdf viewer and/or be able to download looks the best.

Hope this helps.

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post