Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    iTunes Audio Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iTunes Audio Books
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted
In iTunes in the left column there is an icon labled "Audiobooks". How do I get something to appear in there? I have 3 Audiobooks that I've imported from CDs into iTunes, but they still show up under music. I even changed the "genre" to "Audiobooks", no avail. Can anyone explain?

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Import/Convert them as AAC files then
change the extension to .m4b
Once you bring .m4b files into iTunes they will be in the Audiobook area of iTunes AND you all have all the nice features of audio books such as picking up where you left off listening on any device such as an iPod/iPhone/Apple TV.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Audiobooks that you import from CD are considered "Books & Spoken". That's the way they come in from the CDDB. The last time I tried to update some information on the CDDB, calling something Audiobook it would not accept it. Unless CDDB has changed something you can't even choose anything but Books & Spoken. I think Audiobooks brings in those things from Audible--maybe some others also, but not that I have seen and I have over 150 books from CD. I have not figured out how to make Books & Spoken show up under Audiobooks. I just live with it.

I just read Terry's comment. When I import I usually join the tracks on each CD for the books and then import as AAC and I change the settings for all of the CDs, after they are all imported and placed in a Playlist, by doing a Select All and Get Info on all the records in that book's Playlist. Right at the bottom you can tell it to exclude from shuffle and remember playback position. I do this before I burn that Playlist to CD for backup. Then all that info is in the CD backup as well as the Playlist. I play each CD in the playlist in order and iTunes remembers where I stopped so I can resume at the same place. Note: to keep the sort order proper it helps to append "CD1" etc. to the album Name (which is always the Title of the book. According to the CDDB rules, the Author should ALWAYS appear as the Artist NOT the composer. Composer is left blank and is filled in by iTunes. And books are NOT a "compilation". A compilation is a recording where there are many songs performed by multiple artists on that same CD. Sometimes the records on the CDDB are messed up, because the work is basically done by the public inputing the info if the publisher of the book CD has not already. It is always wise to check the information that came down from the CDDB to make sure it makes sense relative to the book you have in front of you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Donna,

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
I have not figured out how to make Books & Spoken show up under Audiobooks. I just live with it.

No need to "live with it", you can use the tip above to have ANY of your files show up in iTunes as Audiobooks.

I used the method above to convert a 3 hour lecture that I recorded into an audiobook that never came from Audible. It shows up as an Audiobook in iTunes and on my iPod(s). It has all the features of a "real" audiobook.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Well I will try changing the type to m4b the next time I import. Thanks. But it is not really a biggie for me to have my Books & Spoken under Music. iTunes changes that several versions ago. I'd personally like to have a Books & Spoken choice in the lefthand column, as well as Audiobooks. I notice that Audiobooks is not a choice under Genre in the individual or multiple item info. Only Books & Spoken, which makes it compatible with the CDDB.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
You can keep the Genre as whatever you like it to be. The whole point of making the files "Audiobooks" in iTunes is so that iTunes/iPods remember where you left off when you listen to them.

Here's a tutorial.

When I listen to that 3 hour lecture. I may start listening in iTunes and stop after say an hour. When I sync it to my iPod/iPhone and start playing it, it will pick up exactly where I left off in iTunes. When I return home and sync. I can continue listening in iTunes exactly where I left off. It's all automatic!

----

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I used to used the method you linked to using Make Bookmarkable. I found it too cumbersome to have to change the type and then find and delete the originals. I see Doug has changed the following now:
Note: Version 2.0 of the "Make Bookmarkable" script from Doug's Scripts automatically removes and then reloads your audio files back into iTunes. By using it you will not have to manually do these next two steps. This feature of the script only works with iTunes 7 and later

So this would make it much less painful. But I also want to exclude from shuffle. Perhaps this new version of Make Bookmarkable also excludes from shuffle. If your audio book consists of multiple CD though you still need to gather them in order and put them in a Playlist to be able to access them easily on your iPod.

There is also a script to Join Together after the fact, which can be really handy if you forgot to do that when importing the CD in the first place. In iTunes, unless they have changed something, you need to Join Together while you have the CD in there before you start the import.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
But I also want to exclude from shuffle.

Audiobooks (.m4b) are AUTOMATICALLY excluded from shuffle!

----

Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
Wow. I didn't realize my question would provoke such an lively discussion. Cool! Smile

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Hey, it's MacGroup Detroit! What else would you expect?

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
I also like to use this

Works like a charm!

Andrew :-)

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post