Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    some website help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

some website help
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
What is the proper way to delete stuff from your .mac web sites? If I delete the site from idisk will it remove associated pictures or movies?

I got .mac about 2 years ago and set up a web page through .mac. Then I set up some other pages with iweb. Then I got a new computer and made a few more pages. The sites are difficult to locate and disconnected. I want to delete some of my old stuff and set up an entire new site through iweb.

I currently have data all over the idisk, some are under pictures/photo album pictures. Some are in the sites folder. Others are under Web/Sites/iweb /site.

I would rather not just relink to old stuff, because some Id like to get rid of so it wont take up my idisk space. If I delete a website, will it delete all the data associated with that site on my idisk? Does some of the data get shared among the sites so that I shouldnt delete it? Can I move things around in my idisk to make it more organized, or will that lose the links?

I've set up a brand new central page as my main site on iweb and want to start fresh there, but move one or two things from my previous set ups. How do I do this and make sure things arent either lost, or duplicated and taking up .mac space?

thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dale,

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
To make sure only what you want deleted gets deleted, I'd go through the folders in your iDisk and delete it anything you want to get rid of manually (or better yet, put them in a temp folder on your hard drive until you're sure).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I plan to set up sites that I will only want to have online for a few months. If I create these pages with iweb link on iphoto, or by publishing directly from iweb.. how do I delete it when Im done? Im not sure where iweb puts all the files so trying to find them and hope I got them all to a temp folder seems a bit.. unintuitive for an apple program. Is there an uninstall/undo type way to get them off?

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
If you create a site in iWeb, then delete content in iWeb, you can do a site update to remove that content.

iWeb puts everything under Web/Sites/iWeb on your iDisk, though, so it's not hard to find.

Anything you did some other way, you will probably have to do manually. Your initial post sounded like you had several methods you used.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
thanks.. Smile

does it matter if Ive used iweb on two different computers? when I did the site with .mac I was online and the information looked the same whatever computer I was on, using iweb the sites are not really synchronized between computers.. I think Im overthinking this..

thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
If you did your site from two different machines, without transferring the Domain file used by iWeb, you are going to be out of sync. Probably the best bet is to manually move/delete all the content under web/sites and start over.

You could try deleting and updating from whichever Mac you updated the site from last, but you may still have some orphan files lying around up there.

If you want to update from more than one Mac, you have to make sure you pass around the current Domain file.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===