Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iLife    Iphoto 09 missing pictures-help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iphoto 09 missing pictures-help!
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted
About a year ago I decided to move my iphoto database over to an external drive to clear out room on my computer. Everything was working fine until today (I haven't done anything different). When I go to a specific album in iphoto 09 I get this error message "The photo “IMG_0101.JPG” could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found." When I try to manually find it, it will not let me. I tried rebuilding it through this article here but it still doesn't work. Are my pictures gone for good? I had over 5000 pictures (which are backed up) but I like having them in one location. Is there a way to salvage them?

Thanks
Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
iPhoto is telling you that the Original photo is no longer in the iPhoto library. It believes that it has been moved or deleted. if you renamed the file that may be the reason for your troubles too.

Try a Spotlight search for the image name and see if it is anywhere in your HD. If you can't locate it on the Computer, you will need to find it on your backup drive. Then you can you move it back into iPhoto.

Hope this helps!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I just reread your post and noticed you stated your iPhoto library was moved to an external HD. Is this where it is currently living still?

Personally, I don't trust keeping the iPhoto library on an external drive. Keeping the iTunes library on an external has never been a problem for me, but iPhoto has done strange things in the past.

Dave McGuire

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Yes Dave all pictures (and music) are on the external-it was working fine until yesterday. Nothing has been renamed-it just decided to give me the (!) for some of the pictures. Many of my albums seem to be ok with exception of a few specific albums (apparently not ALL the pics). I have been reading online and noticed many people have the same problem. I have iPhoto 09 (ver. 8.1.2) Is there nothing (like a preference) that I can trash- to reset it? I only had 5000 pictures on there-what do people do that have over 20,0000 pix-is iPhoto not the program to use for picture storage/viewing?

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
iPhoto is way to manage/edit your photos and your version should be able to handle up to 25,000 photos.

That said, you have your iPhoto library on an external HD and something has changed that doesn't link your photos correctly anymore. There is no simple trick to fix this. You must find the Original photo(s) and get it/them back into iPhoto.

I am a firm believer of leaving your iPhoto library on the main HD. You will have to decide if it lives there or not. Wish I could offer a magic fix but I can't.

Dave McGuire

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
The only change that I can think of is possibly a software update. I too used to be a firm believer in leaving the pictures and music on the hard drive-but my computer is just not large enough to hold everything-which is why I thought putting that stuff on external would be the way to go-silly me!

Thanks for your help Dave! Smile

Natalie