Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting-Software    Time machine problem- Waiting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time machine problem- Waiting
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted
When I enter my wired Time Machine, I see the list of backups, but when I click on one of the backups, it says "Waiting" next to the date in the menu bar, and none of the finder options are available (I can see them, but I can't click on them) and all the data is gone. If I go back to 2:52 am yesterday, the data is there and the word Waiting is gone. I updated to Sierra last week and this is the first time I noticed it. The Time Machine disc has plenty of room. Any ideas as to why no data shows up and it says Waiting on that Time machine page. I tried waiting it out and there is no improvement. If I look at the menu bar, I can see a current time for the backup but its greyed out. I can't tell if anything is being backed up or not.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
Can anyone who is using Sierra go into Time Machine and tell me if you have old data from yesterday? I'm wondering if this is a Sierra problem or perhaps iCloud Drive.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Just checked and time machine has all my backups for the past several months - running Sierra with no issues.

Posts: 829 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Did you do an in-place upgrade to Sierra or a new install and migration?

My experience with Time Machine and an in-place upgrade is good -- I have continuous backups to September 2015.

I don't have TM on my new install with migration on my test machine. I should probably start using TM on the test machine just to look for such problems.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
I downloaded Sierra from the App store and installed it the same way I've always installed updates in the past. There were no problems. It took about 45 minutes. I just noticed the problem with Time Machine today. It seemed to be working ok because on my menu bar I noticed the update times changing every hour. But when I went into TM, I noticed the data seems to be missing in the hours between 2:52 am yesterday and now. I also looked up the problem online and there are others who have the "waiting" problem and are looking for answers. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
Ok, so here's another question on this topic. I'm using iCloud Drive. I'm wondering if that is somehow affecting my Time Machine backups. Is there anyone else who is using Time Machine and also iCloud Drive, and are your backups going ok?