Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting-Software    Help needed InDesign 18 ASAP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed InDesign 18 ASAP
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted
My son is at the final stage of getting a book printed. Printer need 2 global fixes. He’s learned from scratch. My son has an indesign file that he's trying to set up for 4-color process printing. It's already in CMYK, but the printer has requested that he:
make sure the crop marks and registration marks are set correctly for a 3mm bleed.
Convert 7 of the images from C4 to C1 Black.
He has a subscription for Adobe CC18 and has scoured the knowledge base but can't find the solution and, as a self-taught user, the experimental approach seems to be taking him further away from what the printer wants. IMPORTANT! The printer is not actually using InDesion and needs the file as a PDF.

Here's the link to the original post that went viral just a few hours after he had to put his sweet dog to sleep:
https://www.facebook.com/benny...9225/?type=1&theater

He's taken it from scratch to this point, where all that's standing in the way are these last two hurdles.
Can on of you experts please help? If you need
to see the actual file he can share a Dropbox link

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Hi Donna,
I'm not the Indesign expert that has answers to your son's questions. It may be too late if he has a contract with his printer, but sounds to me like the printer isn't very up to date. The book and sheet music printers I've worked with in the past had pre-press specs on their web sites, and/or had staff people who could run a customer's files in their own copies of InD to implement special technical elements. I learned a few things, but was always an "informed amateur," and the printers took care of everything.

ANOTHER COMMENT: Is he working with an actual book production company? The greater Ann Arbor area has long been a hub for short-run book producers.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. He’s actually in Gainesville Florida right now. He contacted the graphic design department professor at the University there and found out how to do it.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Glad he found the answer, Donna.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post