Find
Notify
Tools

Safari problems
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
This is most disappointing, but way too many problems with Safari are about to result in "Sayonara Safari." VERY SLOW loading, if a page loads at all. "Complaints" from Youtube (sometimes), and just now my bank log in (wouldn't go at all), on and on. I've tried several times (including with App Store "updates") to locate an updated version. Apparently Apple is the one that said "Sayonara Safari" as the OS upgrades moved on.
Currently on OS10.8.5 for my desktop computer. (Why upgrade when everything works smoothly, does what I need.)

Have long used Firefox, originally as a 2nd browser "just in case." Even if their frequent updates are an occasional nuisance, at least FF is staying operational and relevant. Haven't decided to use Chrome yet.

Rant over. Maybe other folks are having more success with Safari.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo

You are 4 updates behind in macOS. That is more than likely the problem. If you cannot update for some reason maybe you should move to Firefox.

Brian

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian. Yes, I've been using Firefox somewhat routinely for s number of years. I realize the OS issue related to Safari, except that one has to wonder why the other browsers work independently of any OS very successfully, but Apple continues to tie Safari to the OS. Doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is.

I'll take a closer look at later OS updates and possible problems with my significant applications. (Old & set in my ways, I guess!)

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,

Firefox and other browsers will start becoming obsolete for many sites (financial and shopping related) in the near future. Reason being that Security is better in current Operating Systems. There is no incentive to keep those browsers supported from a software standpoint.

I understand the thought process of "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" But you are now facing the "it's broke!" scenario and have been for a few years now. If you have hardware that won't cooperate in the latest OS, you could run 10.8 and 10.12 by having a dual boot setup. But then again, maybe its time to upgrade those devices as well.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave. Yes, must decide. I'm concerned that some of my prime applications may not be installable on the current OS. Starting to research. I use Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro A LOT, and depend on InDesign when in production mode. Trying to avoid the Creative Cloud subscription scenario, as I can't justify the cost for the additional apps I don't use, nor even for the occasional use of InDesign.

PS: As one who kept up with each and every upgrade & update over my nearly 25 years on Mac, I understand the importance of keeping up. Will keep everyone posted, though I read similar complaints on some forums.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Topic getting broader here, but found this forum on Adobe related to running / installing CS5 & 6 applications in latest Mac OS version.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2211774

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Mary Jo, I have my old 2009 iMac set up in another room and running an older OS just to be able to use a couple of older apps and use my older Canon portable scanner. Canon refuses to update the twain driver for it and I refuse to buy a new scanner. What drives me nuts is that it works just fine with Windows 10. Shame on Canon.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3764 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Phyl, I share your frustration. A friend (recently passed away) many years ago, when Macs were developing but still in the "youth" stage kept several Macs of various vintages running because each would handle something the other wouldn't.

It's obvious that the whole world of personal computing has matured now. Folks have found their niche for using them, and sometimes the value of upgrades is questionable when one must make a very expensive investment in newer versions of software they may not need. 'Tis the world we live in, I guess. Life goes on, the sun still rises and sets, decisions are needed!

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Two more links (both from same blog) re Mac OS 10.12 Sierra and Adobe applications, including CC.

https://blog.conradchavez.com/...ware-work/#more-5141

https://blog.conradchavez.com/...software-work/#preCC

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,
At this point you are no longer comparing Apples to Apples
(No pun intended) Smile
Having software and hardware from even 6 years ago, is
more comparable to dog years, not 6 human years.
CS6 and CC (v.1) are now technologically light years gone by
and even some of the code that run those apps are obsolete.
Adobe has since completely rewritten some of those apps
FROM THE GROUND UP, to support the newer technology.
And the newer technology can't be expected to support the older technology.

While we hold onto what we need to, there are times when
we just truly have to move on (and up) and LetGo Wink
(Speaking from experience...)

Posts: 1613 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chita, and all.
Partly my age and some hard choices about what I'll continue doing, for how long. What would be the cost of app upgrades, relative to my probable use of them. The Adobe subscription model is the hardest, because the continuing cost would be a questionable one at this point in time.

I genuinely appreciate the posts. - Just disappointed in finding some of the problems people are having. (Tidbits just had an article on a huge problem on the new MBPro that should have been a no-brainer concern by Apple's engineers - (copying from one external drive to another external crashes the OS) Some day I'll take the next step, whatever it is.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Mary Jo, I'm still using Adobe CS5. The only parts I use are InDesign and occasionally Acrobat Pro. I hate the subscription thing. If all I wanted was Photoshop, I could have it for $10 a month, but if I only want InDesign it would cost me $20 a month. I won't do it. I understand that some people have had issues with using InDesign CS 5 with El Capitan and Sierra, but I haven't encountered anything that I couldn't manage.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3764 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyl. Nice to know. Am S L O W L Y working my way through the OS thing, but (strangely) starting with a look at a new monitor. Definitely want to keep my old Mini for desktop (has the CD/DVD drive - now and then I need it). Will keep you posted. As you mention, can keep my older laptop, but maybe move on with the desktop (sigh!!)

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Bought an external DVD/Blu-Ray burner/player from OWC a few years ago for less than $100 when the internal DVD on my 2009 iMac started giving me problems. It's hooked up to my 2015 iMac, but I can easily switch it to my MacBook Air when I need it. I don't use it often, mostly for ripping music CDs to iTunes to transfer to iPod or flash drive to play in my car.

—P M Evans

Poobah
posted Hide Post
My apologies for dragging this out, but just read a Tidbits article that verifies what my suspicions about Apple's direction have been. - Mentioning because I've sensed that the computer OS upgrades have been more about aligning with the iPhone & iPad than about advancing the desktop productivity experience. - Hence my reluctance to jump at every OS upgrade. That is confirmed by the essence of the Tidbits article by Adam Engst, Understanding Apple’s Marginalization of the Mac, TidBITS#1347/21-Nov-2016

As one of the rare individuals who does not use an iPhone (or any other smart phone, only a "special use talk only" Consumer Cellular flip phone), nor an iPad (prefer a laptop), the emphasis on iOS is irrelevant. According to the article, "If you’re an architect who relies on AutoCAD on the
Mac to design buildings, or a video editor who spends your days in
Adobe Premiere and After Effects, or a photographer who works in
Photoshop and Lightroom, you care primarily about what the Mac
enables you do to _as a Mac_, not as an adjunct to iOS. You might be
a huge fan of your iPhone and iPad, but the Mac is what enables you
to earn your bread and butter."

The article is extensive, worth your while. I could quote even more that has become obvious. Nobody can argue with the revenue Apple makes, but one hopes they wake up to the productivity aspect and don't consider it obsolete just because they're making the BIG money elsewhere.

Link to the article, if you don't subscribe:
http://tidbits.com/e/16914