Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting-Software    Follow-up on WD & Sierra
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Follow-up on WD & Sierra
 Login/Register

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted
I've been running the new Western Digital 4 TB My Passport drive on my old 2009 iMac (Yosemite OS) since Friday without a problem. It's gone through multiple sleep cycles and even does a backup right after running the middle of the night Unix Maintenance routines.

In the meantime, the reformatted Hitachi 2 TB connected to the iMac running the latest Sierra beta is working like a charm, doing its hourly backups. Either something in Sierra doesn't like the WD 4 TB or something in the firmware of the WD doesn't like Sierra. I've taken the iMac out of the public beta program. After the next OS update (non-beta) I'll switch the drive back and see if it fixes the problem.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
How is it hooked up? I have an older WD drive with FW800 and USB connections, but it only works reliably under USB (even with drivers supplied by WD).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
USB plugged directly into the computer, not a hub. I have it hooked to my MacBook Air now to test it there. It's running the same Sierra version as the main iMac, but without most of the add-on utility apps. This whole thing has me bugged. When it hangs, it's not like the drive unmounts during sleep and then won't or can't remount. The drive is there, Disk Utility can see it and I can even open. You just can't see any files and it will say 0 files until you reboot.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post