Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting-Software    Another Time Machine question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Time Machine question
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted
I'm not sure if this is a problem with Time Machine or not. I thought TM was supposed to do a backup every hour (its done that for months). Now mine has started only doing backups if there has been a change on my iMac within the last hour (like a file deleted or a change in a document or adding or deleting a program). If there has been no change, or if my machine goes to sleep overnight, TM makes no backup. I'm not getting any warning message saying anything is wrong. I have no problem with it only doing a backup after a change, but wasn't TM supposed to do a backup every hour no matter what? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this something to be concerned about? I'm using an iMac with the newest OS.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Time Machine typically checks on an hourly basis to see if enough items have been changed, deleted or added. If it doesn't meet that criteria, it waits until the next hour. If your computer is on but nothing happens for a few hours, it will hold off till the end of the day.

I believe this is a way for the computer to be more energy efficient.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2114 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
FWIW, under the latest Sierra beta, TM is creating a folder every hour the computer is awake, even during the night while I was fast asleep. The only thing that would change would be emails coming in throughout the night, as I never quit Mail.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Since Time Machine only backs up what changes, TM has nothing to back up. So if your computer is sleeping or no changes have been made, there really shouldn't be any backup.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't, Jack, but it seems to go through the motions anyway. All I can think is that it's tied to the Power Nap thing that allows iCloud syncing when the computer is in sleep mode. I never quit the Mail app, and my Calendar app has a couple of Google calendars that I subscribe to.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post