Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting-Software    Strange SuperDuper message
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange SuperDuper message
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Genius friends,
I've been using SuperDuper to backup and shut down my main computer (a Mac Mini) for several years successfully, no problems. This morning found this very strange "ownership" message. ??????????
"RED MacMini BACKUP" is the name of an external portable drive that I've been using a number of months with no issues.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,

I can't give you an explanation for the message.

I offer this workaround:

• Select Macintosh HD New in Finder
  • Get Info on Macintosh HD New
  • Make certain that Ignore ownership on this volume is NOT CHECKED

Get Info check box

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Mac OS 10.8.5

The info window does not have the "ownership" option.
I notice that the "wheel" (whatever that is) is "Read & Write" on your image. Mine has "read only," Is that a potential problem?

This is such a mystery because it's never happened before in all the years I've used SuperDuper.

Am going to run some permissions checks with Disk Utility to investigate. Then run SD again to see what happens.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Info for the Red MacMini Backup. It DOES have the "Ignore ownership" unchecked. I notice that both the drives info specifies "You can only read." Since I'm the admin and only one who uses either the computer or backup drive, not sure if that makes sense.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, after all the hullabaloo, apparent success. Just ran SD again without the "shut down computer" conclusion and it worked OK.

I repaired permissions on the main drive, but it was the usual: LOTS of itunes, about 3 Safari items.

Still interested in what the "wheel" is in the info windows.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Some have switched from SD to CCC because CCC handles errors more gracefully and because it can help with the recovery partition.

Standard groups in OS X Unix include

• staff - users default group
  • admin - users with Administrator privilege
  • wheel - system group (usually just root)

This is all part of the weird and wonderful ownership and access lore inherited from Unix.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim. I'll let you techs deal with the "weird" items. - Just curious about "wheel" - a new one to me.

I may look at CCC someday. This error message was the one & only time SD raised any questions in all the years I've used it.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I had much the same experience three years ago. When I complained to them about having to prove ownership of my hard drive, they told me to inform them of all the actions I had performed prior to the error message. I found this request rather annoying and used CCC instead which worked perfectly.

Posts: 270 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Gordon, I don't remember doing anything differently before the message happened. However, it comes to mind that occasionally when I wake the computer from sleep mode, a message pops up that the name of the computer has "changed" to one with an added number. Am wondering if that might have happened at the time, but can't verify it. I reported this changed-name business on ibbs awhile back, and I think it was Phyl Evans who recommended a correction.
So far the error hasn't happened again since this forum, but am reserving the possibility of going to CCC should it happen again.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Here's the discussion on computer name & added numbers. Helpful comments by both Jim Cutler and Phyl Evans.
http://macgroup.infopop.cc/eve...227048186#6227048186