Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting-Software    Time Machine problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time Machine problems
 Login/Register

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted
Gut instinct says this is a software problem, not hardware. Late 2015 iMac w/2TB Fusion drive, running the latest Sierra public beta. I've been using a Hitachi 2 TB drive for ™, and it's been fine up until a couple of weeks ago. It was at the point where it was deleting the oldest files to free up space for new backups, and something caused it to hang on one. Usually if that happens, I can just trash the incomplete backup file and all is well again.

Dragged the offending file to the trash but couldn't get the trash to empty, even using Terminal. It would just hang. None of my disk utilities could fix it. Figured the drive was dying so I bought a new WD 4 TB to replace it.

Reformatted the Hitachi and am using it with Carbon Copy Cloner, and so far it seems to be okay. Time Machine works most of the time, but if the computer sleeps for more than a couple of hours, it stops and gives me an error message that it couldn't complete the backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder. Opening the drive shows a blank window. Unmounting and remounting the drive doesn't help. I have to reboot, then I go through the same thing after another extended sleep.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Ideas? I'm about to switch drives again to see if that does anything.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Create a Test account and try the TM backup from that account. If it fails in that account than I would suspect the OS. If not, then your User account is hosed.

Let us know what happens.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2115 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave. I've switched the drives around, doing a CCC backup to the new WD drive and the computer is currently do a Time Machine backup to the cleanly formatted Hitachi to rule out a problem with the new WD. If it does it again, I'll try the test account thing. Whatever happens, I'll keep you posted. It might help someone else.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Seems that the problem is with the new Western Digital drive. I've reformatted it twice now and it still does the same thing. Using the WD disk utilities, it passes SMART status and Quick Drive Test, but fails the Complete Drive Test. Replacement time.

—P M Evans

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Just had my WD HD fail as a TM backup drive after only 4 weeks. Switched to a Seagate HD and so far all seems to be running well.

Posts: 829 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I just had a two year old Seagate HD fail. It still spins but it doesn't show up anymore.

Posts: 420 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
See if Disk Utility can see it. If it can, run First Aid and see if it can fix it. I may just be a minor problem. Check the connecting cable, too. Could be a loose connection or a bad cable.

—P M Evans

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Update: Replacement WD drive did the same thing. It hung last night after I put the computer to sleep. This time I was able to force eject it and reconnect to have the data show up without having to reboot the computer. Through a bunch of googling, it looks like it might be a problem between Sierra and some WD models.

I've connected the drive to my old iMac that is running Yosemite and it's doing a new TM backup (and taking forever!) I'll run it on the old iMac for a while and see what happens.

—P M Evans

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I wanted to put an SSD drive in my Powerbook yesterday. It took Time Machine 11 hours to do a complete transfer of about 568GB to the target drive I was using (which I had accidentally erased while formatting the new drive I was trying to set up for CCC.) Then it took an additional 9 hours to do a Carbon Copy Cloner also on the other drive. These were USB drives, though, not Firewire. But after the new SSD drive was installed it only took about 4 hours to migrate from the CCC. Reading seems to be faster than writing.so just let it percolate. Remember, patience is a virtue.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Speed is determined by the USB ports. My current iMac has USB 3, but my old iMac only has USB 2. With 800+ GB to to transfer, it's slow going.

—P M Evans