Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting-Software    How to verify sender of email
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to verify sender of email
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Need a reminder: which part of an email long header verifies the sender: The top area, or bottom which includes the subject line?
- Involved in a Facebook discussion after a friend got caught with ransomware by opening a fake "Fedex International" note, "Shipment delivery problem." His computer was compromised, but I don't think he's responded to their demands at this point.
- Just want to suggest for future that folks verify the sender in the long header. (Have already mentioned using browser independently to verify such a notice.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I only usee Apple's Mail app to view email, and you should be able to just hover the cursor over the hyperlinked areas to reveal the true addresses, without having to invoke "Show long headers". I get several of the FedEx things every day, and the junk filter almost always grabs them. This is one that came in today. The address they used is an alias I use for sites I know will bomb me with garbage.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyl. I haven't had these junk emails, but a friend did. Very helpful.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post