Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting-Software    GPU or Software Isuue?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPU or Software Isuue?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I ave a 27" imac Late 2012.That keeps shutting down on me. tookit to the apple store they have had it for a week and tell me its not a hardware problem. But when I took it in The records showed the GPU failed 17 thimes and they guy said when it failed last it had "0" by it which meant it wastne a software issue. Conflicting info. The Power supply was replaced in 2015 and I have had problems ever since then and it shut down more and more. Are they feeding mea a line of bull? I run adobe suites 5.5 and havent upgraded running 10.12. Any thoughts or help on what to do. Thanks For any Help Kelly

Posts: 357 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
If the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) failed that many times, then you have a hardware problem. Since the GPU is part of the MLB (Main Logic Board) this is NOT an inexpensive repair. I would expect this repair to run between $550-700 depending on which GPU came with your iMac.

Running an older OS is not causing power related problems. How does this iMac connect to power? Are you just plugging it into the wall or are you using a true Surge Suppressor? How old is that Surge Suppressor? Over time they lose their effectivness and are just a power strip. This happens quickly in areas where power outages are more common.

Perhaps a second opinion at a different Apple Store would be a benefit to you.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Just picked it up. I plug it into a surge surpresser and I did try another one with the same problem. yes the GPU is expensive but less then buying a new one. They sugested doing a clean sweep and go back to factory settings.

Posts: 357 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I have been having the same problem with my Mac Mini. Would stay on for a bit then suddenly shut down without warning.

Still have not tracked down the problem, but I did notice whenever I booted in BootCamp, it ran and ran. Never shut off. Then I booted into Mac OS and just let the log in screen sit there for a few hours... it never shut off. As soon as I logged in, it shut off within a few minutes.

This indicated to me that it's a Software problem (At least mine is). You may want to try the same thing.

Do you have an external HD you can boot off of?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul,

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1416 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post