Notify
Tools

BIG alias question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Experts,
Is there any reason that an alias icon should be bigger - MUCH bigger - than the file it points to? In going through a folder to delete some old large files, found a number of alias icons (still active). The system allocates a whole string of them as 5.8 MB EACH. I checked the links for a few. The original folders are (for example) 1.8MB, 164KB (yes "KB"), etc.
????????
OS 10.8.5

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there any reason that an alias icon should be bigger - MUCH bigger - than the file it points to?

There are lots of (probably not completely correct)conjectures and explanations on the web. I can only say that as of 10.7 or so, Apple changed alias structures. Here is a brief excerpt from the File System Programming Guide.
quote:
If you want to save the location of a file persistently, use the bookmark capabilities of NSURL. A bookmark is an opaque data structure, enclosed in an NSData object, that describes the location of a file. ... Specifying the NSURLBookmarkCreationSuitableForBookmarkFile option creates an NSData object suitable for saving to disk.

That last item is what now creates an alias.

Anyway, I have found that aliases vary wildly in size and appear to have loads of stuff besides icons within them. But, trying to work my way through Apple's Developer Documentation is a harder puzzle than can be solved without expensive training. If I could explain NSURL, maybe I could explain what can be stuffed into an alias.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Jim, sounds scary to me! For goodness sake don't spend your valuable time investigating. It just didn't make sense to me, and thought some MG experts might have a ready answer.

Incidentally, just tried info on some alias icons on the desktop. Folder aliases all are 5.8 MB, a single pdf file alias is 160 KB. 2 or 3 actual folders read acurately according to contents. Never though aliases would hog drive space. Now we know.

PS: Those I originally posted were all inside a folder in "Documents" so apparently the location on the drive doesn't matter. Aliases for folders are all 5.8MB (at least in the OS I'm using.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post