Find
Notify
Tools

extending a network
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted
I own an extra Airport Extreme as well as 2 Expresses. When I'm at my cottage my neighbor lets me share his network nextdoor. He probably uses a Linksys router (he's on Windows) and I can pick up the network (using the password) just fine with my computer, Roku and iOS devices. Our cottages are oly 10 feet apart. Is there some way I could use either of my Airport devices to extend that Linksys network another 20 feet so it will reach downstais to my poured-concrete basement which seems to block the signal, or does it have to be an Apple Airport router in the first place? I use Airport Utility.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
The most transparent way to use your spare Apple network equipment is as follows:

• Configure one Airport Express as a client to your neighbor's network. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7803579 and https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201621.
  • Configure the Airport Extreme Network > Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode).
  • Configure the Airport Extreme Wireless > Wireless Options... > Channel to be different from neighbor's WiFi channel.
  • Position the Airport Express for a good connection to your neighbor's WiFi
  • Connect an Ethernet cable between the Airport Express to any Ethernet connection on the Airport Extreme.
  • Enjoy.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Configure the Airport Extreme Wireless > Wireless Options... > Channel to be different from neighbor's WiFi channel.

Where do I find out what channel by neighbor is on?
Can I plug my printer into the USB on the Express to access it wirelessly from anywhere in the house? The reason I have an extra Extreme is that the USB outlet on the Extreme died, so I got a new one.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post