Find
Notify
Tools

Java update
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted
I just got a popup "Java Update" while running Safari. I thought Java was dangerous, but Javascript was OK. Should I allow this Java Update to install?

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I do not have Java on my MacBook Pro and I use it about 16 hours per and day do not have any lapses of functionality.

Probably do not update and just remove it.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I assume I must have it, since I got that update message, but I don't know why or how it got on my computer. When I do a Finder Find I do show JavaAppletPlugins dmgs from 2012, 2013, and 2015 sitting in my downloads folder. I may have downloaded them, but I doubt I installed any. How do I remove it? i.e. how do I tell if it is installed? Update: I just found a Java folder inside my Library:Application Support folder.It has a bunch of Java 1.8.x folders within it. Should I Trash that folder?

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Go into System Preferences and check the Java panel there. There are some sites that use Java, unfortunately, but I've made it a hard, fast rule to only update Flash and Java from System Preferences. There are too many nasties out there that piggyback in on those supposed updates.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3775 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Try visiting the Apple website and click on Support. Once there, search "Java 2015" and you can download the Java update thru Apple. This is a safe way to get the update.

Most websites are getting rid of Java, but if it is a website you visit often or need to use this will help.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Evidently the messages were coming from the Java Control panel and they're OK.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, Phyllis. I didn't know about updating from System Preferences. Good idea. ill do from now on.