Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  For Sale - General    3 TiVo’s For Sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 TiVo’s For Sale
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
posted
3 TiVo’s For Sale

All three are Series 2 with Digital Tuner.

Two of the three are dual tuner and can record two programs at the same time.

All three work on your home wired network for scheduling updates as well as transferring recordings to your Mac or PC. Wireless needs additional hardware.

Cables and manuals included. I have the boxes for all three.

All units function great.

Dual Tuner Units $30.00 each

Single Tuner Unit $20.00

Thanks for your consideration.

Brian Stone

248-546-9339

Posts: 1638 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Does this mean that you've upgraded successfully to TiVo HD? Smile How did it go?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6151 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Well probably as bad as you said it would be or maybe somewhat worse. The "tech" called 5 minutes before the very end of the promised time (9:30AM to 12:30PM) Sunday morning the 2nd. I asked him if he had the 4 cable cards to install. He said no and that he did not know what a cable card is. He said he would come out anyway. I asked if he could pick them up on his way and he said no the center was closed. I then suggested he not bother showing up as it was a waste of time.

I then called Comcast to complain and they were going to try to get a Tech Supervisor out to take care of it at 6:00 PM Sunday. Well 10:00 PM came and went with no call. They are also not charging for either service call.

We then got a reschedule for Tuesday between 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM. The tech showed up at 12:15 with the 4 cable cards. He also insisted on installing all 4 of them regardless of the fact that they are ALL multistream cards and the on screen display from both TiVos said the second multistream card would be ignored. I guess this is how they increase revenue. Well just to make sure I called TiVo and they confirmed only 1 multistream card per TiVo. Also we removed the second card from one of the TiVos and recorded 2 shows at the same time and it worked just as TiVo said it would.

Only other problem is I ordered an HDMI switch almost 2 years ago to switch between the TiVos and it will pass the video but not the audio. Plugged the TiVos directly into the TV and they play both video and audio. Ordered a new switch and impatiently waiting on its arrival. The 5 HDMI cables I ordered arrived today.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
If you are still holding on to the two extra cards, you can walk them in to return them and have them taken off your account.

This is just another typical example of Comcast's "contracted" techs not having a clue on the products and services offered by the company they work for.

I spoke at length to one of them once and learned that they receive virtually NO TRAINING. They don't get any extras on the truck in case something doesn't work. They either have to re-schedule or call another person to see if they have whatever you need on their truck. There is no leaving your house and coming back the same day. Once they leave dispatch, they are not to return until the end of the day to turn in whatever they didn't use.

In all my years of dealing with TiVo HD and cableCARDs I've only met two actual Comcast employees that had a clue. Also they'll let you pick up anything else from the service center and let you install it yourself, but not cableCards, which actually would be the easiest as there's nothing to do but call in the numbers that appear on the screen.

With all this said, once they work, they work!

Another tip: I did have one TiVO HD die while under warranty. TiVo replaced it no problem, but what I should have done and ultimately ended up doing was treat it like a NEW TiVo HD with a NEW CableCARD. I tried for days to get the existing card moved over to the new box and it failed miserably and even killed two TiVo units (which they replaced and ultimately ended up giving me a brand new one).

What I should have done was: because it was the actual hard drive that crashed, I should have taken that as a opportunity to upgrade to a larger drive via http://weaknees.com or any other do-it-yourself method.

OR

let TiVo replace the box as they did, but order a NEW CableCARD for it instead of trying to move the old one over. Once the new one was installed, I could have then had the old one taken off the account.

The second option above is what ended up happening, but only after a week long series of frustrating visits and shipments.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6151 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
So let me understand.

If I want to buy one of these boxes and I have Comcast service, I need to purchase some sort of special card for the box?

In case I want to buy one of Mr. Stone's dual tuners.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1721 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Calvin:

See my original post for a phone number. Always happy to talk to you.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Depends on which model you're going with. If you get one of Brian's Series II models, NO. If you get a TiVo HD, you will need to rent a CableCARD from Comcast to use their digital/HD service and to decrypt premium channels if you have any.

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
So let me understand.

If I want to buy one of these boxes and I have Comcast service, I need to purchase some sort of special card for the box?

In case I want to buy one of Mr. Stone's dual tuners.

----

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Terry:

It is possible to use a Series 2 with comcast it just takes a little more effort and one of the Motorola/Comcast boxes (the one with the cablecard already installed).

Also the first cablecard in any device is free, see the comcast price list. Additional cablecards in the same device cost an extra $1.50 each per month.

All three of the TiVos I am selling will work straight up with WOW, nothing extra needed. They went digital and did not screw with all of their customers like comcast did.

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Oh I forgot to ask.

Mr. Stone,

Is there a monthly service charge with this Tivo unit. I was just looking for a device that would allow me to record a show occasionally. It just dawned on me to ask.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

Posts: 1721 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
Oh I forgot to ask.

Mr. Stone,

Is there a monthly service charge with this Tivo unit. I was just looking for a device that would allow me to record a show occasionally. It just dawned on me to ask.

From the Tivo website:
What else do I need besides the TiVo Series2 DVR?
You need a subscription to the TiVo service, along with either a phone line or a home network connected to a high-speed Internet connection, a TV source (cable or satellite) and, of course, a TV.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2094 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Calvin:

I still have some High End Sony VCR's that will do that job for you and there is no subscription needed.

Phone 248-546-9339

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Mr Stone,

Let me read up on the Tivo site to fully understand this process. I thought it was a digital recorder you use but it appears to be more to the game.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Calvin:

The call is still free. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Also one of the Dual Tuner units was picked up yesterday, one of each left.

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Just to clear up confusion the Series2 TiVo works with Comcast with no problems. I have both of mine connected to Motorola boxes from Comcast. These are Digital Motorola Standard Definition boxes that we have had for the past 9 years. They are connected to the TiVo via RCA cables & the included Serial cable from TiVo.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Both Dual Tuned TiVo DVR's have been sold.

Still have the Single tuner unit available. Still only $20.00

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
The single tuner TiVo sold at the September meeting.

Thanks to all.