Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  For Sale - General    Apple LaserWriter Pro 630
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple LaserWriter Pro 630
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted
I'm the original owner of a Apple LaserWriter Pro 630 that I purchased new in 1995. It's been a faithful workhorse, but it now has a couple issues. One, you cannot print to it on anything newer than OSX Tiger. Two, it jams frequently but seems repairable. $20 OBO.

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not interested in purchasing the printer, but I thought I'd offer some comments for anyone that might be interested in it.

I have a Apple LaserWriter Select 360. It might even be older than yours. It's still working great. I am able to print using Leopard (OS 10.5.8). I am able to even print wirelessly, via an Ethernet connection and an iPrint Adapter from Farallon. Though I have occasional paper jams, it's usually caused by paper that is a touch too thin.

I'm guessing that it might be possible to update the print drivers and some other minor tweaks to get the printer to function on OSX Leopard. For $20, it might be worth a gamble for someone who needs a workhorse laser printer. Toner is certainly cheaper than inks.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Can you still get toners for this printer?

- Something to consider in deciding to keep it.

(I had one too, but it caved in a number of years ago. The cost of repair did not justify keeping it, compared with the cost of a new one, at the time.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Chances are that you won't find any original Apple new cartridges. However, many ink supply companies sell refilled/refurbished toner cartridges which are backed by their warranty. I bought a refurbished cartridge recently, with excellent results.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
A few clarifications.

You can print to it with Leopard, just not Snow Leopard. (I was using an old G4 with Tiger on it as a print server.)

Yes, you can still find toner cartridges for it online. The one that's in it now is fairly new.

I have an Asante Ethernet Adapter that I'm including with the printer, so you can hook it up to an Ethernet network.

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
I'm marking this down to $10. Take it along with my G4 graphite tower for $20.

"Where's the RAM."