Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Apple Mail & AOL in Mavericks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Mail & AOL in Mavericks
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
In a nutshell: Mail came in from my aol account, but wouldn't send. After nearly 2 hours of troubleshooting, reading numerous complaints re Mail / Mavericks, looking at Apple support (no real help), AOL Help (indirectly led to the solution - at least working so far), here's what worked:

AOL OSX setup started by opening Mail prefs, then removing the account “AOL” This led to the solution in the first step:

SOLUTION: Mail prefs specified removing the AOL account [I have only one email address] from the SYSTEM PREFS: “Internet Accounts.” Then when I ADDED a new account in Mail, it defaulted to the System app, which required selecting AOL, then entering my email address. From that point, it apparently configured Mail automatically, though it didn’t look like it worked at first.
- Rebooted, (had to force quit Mail), opened Mail, and so far both receiving & sending are working. I noticed that the Port (in “Advanced” settings menu) is 993, NOT “587” recommended in the AOL setup instructions.

Decided to post this because a lot of frustration without answers appears on the web. May help someone.

[Now if I can just conquer the strange scrolling methods in Mavericks, will be a completely happy camper.]

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
As to the scrolling, go to system preferences for your mouse or trackpad and uncheck 'natural scrolling' and it will revert to the old scrolling direction.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3768 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyl. Will try it. The mystery is not so much the direction, but the scroll bar keeps disappearing. Sometimes everything just stops, no matter how I'm using the trackpad, then I have to go on a hunt for the scroll bar. About the time I locate it (if I'm lucky), it disappears again. Maybe the trackpad is just too finicky. (It's my "new" laptop, a 2012 MB Pro 13", with which I'm very happy. Will be downright jubilant when I master the scrolling - rather like trying a new musical instrument or something.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,

• 587 is used for a secure SMTP connection while 993 is pretty standard for secure reading of messages
  • Scroll Bars are controlled in System Preferences > General
  • Scroll Direction is controlled in System Preferences > Trackpad

I find "Natural" scrolling not that hard and makes switching between Trackpad and Touch Screen seem easier to me.

System Preference Panes

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
That's under the General tab in System Preferences. I have mine set to always show scroll bars.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3768 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post