Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Disk Utility Permissions Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disk Utility Permissions Repair
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I'm just curious if anyone may know why "Repair Permissions", with Disk Utility seems to take an extraordinary amount of time since I upgraded to 10.5.8 The process takes 30-45 minutes at a minimum, with a lengthy list of repairs. I'm running 10.5.8 on a PowerBook 17" G4. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Mike,

What is the basis for comparison? 10.4.11, 10.5.6?

10.5 Permissions Repair is exceedingly slow compared to 10.4 or 10.6.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It has something to do with being on a PPC machine. My PPC machines all take that long, and my Intels all take 2-3 minutes. Lots of complaints about this on the web.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
On my G4 1.33 Ghz running 10.4.11 Permission Repair usually only takes a few minutes, maybe 5 at the most as I recall. The times mentioned here seem inordinately long.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
The problem is with 10.5. The long times are unfortunately normal.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input and quick responses everyone. Yes, it's obviously a PPC machine as opposed to an Intel. I started to notice it get progressively worse, time-wise, with each upgrade within 10.5. 10.4 was relatively quick. The minor versions of 10.5 weren't terrible. But, when going to 10.5.8, is was the absolute worst. Hopefully, Apple rectifies the issue in the not to distant future. Running "Repair Permissions" periodically has always been part of my maintenance schemes, particularly after downloading updates. Now, it just takes way too long. Thanks again.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I doubt you'll see much effort to correct an annoying but otherwise minor PPC-only problem in OS X anymore.

===

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Do people using SuperDuper with 10.5 or 10.6 notice the same increase in time for the repair permissions step?

(Personally I use SD on a PPC, 10.4.11, so haven't had the "slow" issue.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
10.4 - Repair Permissions - OK

10.5 - Repair Permissions - Watch the glacier melt, it is just as fast.

10.6 - Repair Permissions - Quick!

You can see the times in the SuperDuper! log - Window > Show Log. My experience with 10.4 and 10.5 is for G4, G5, and Intel Core 2 Duo systems.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post