Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Really, truly "Fast User Switching" under OSX?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Really, truly "Fast User Switching" under OSX?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
AIM: Online Status For StevenGold
posted
I've been doing some work on my computer which requires me to be logged in as several different users simultaneously, and OSX's "fast user switching" is driving me batty.

Entering the passwords for each user every time I want to switch back and forth between the active user is getting old very fast.

Is there a way to switch between logged-in users *without* having to re-enter the password each time? Since I'm already logged into them and I'm sitting right in front of my keyboard, I don't see any "security" reason to require it.

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
There's no way around it, unless you can do all the work in the Terminal.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Remove the passwords from the other accounts.

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Will it still ask for the blank password in that case, or does it just switch?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Still asks for a Password for each Account but you can just hit "enter" to do this faster. When he's done he can put real Passwords back in again.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
You can choose one login to be the "auto" login account for that machine, then it shouldn't ask for a password for that one account. The other accounts still will need a "empty" password.

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
Linda, my main account (which has admin privileges) has "autologin", but when I switch back to it I have to enter the password. Since I need the internet when doing this task, I'm not comfortable removing the passwords from the other account(s), even though they don't have admin privileges -- should I be?

Even "blank" passwords are still a nuisance -- I want to be able to switch "active" users by just hitting a key!

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
I think there is a shareware application (or hack) just waiting to be written (but not by me).

I would envision it to work like Spaces, but instead of it sliding over to reveal another virtual "window", it would slide over to reveal a window owned by another logged-in userid!

Or, maybe just a "function key" which would cube-rotate to the other userid.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steven J Gold:
... I'm not comfortable removing the passwords from the other account(s), even though they don't have admin privileges -- should I be?

You should never be comfortable removing the password from any account. {Security Maxim #42}

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Automatic login applies only at system boot time. Red Face

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
And Maxim 43 - you should never be comfortable bypassing security that's baked into the OS.

===

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you are doing exactly. A couple times I had to go back and forth to different users. In my case, I was able to do everything in my primary account and save to the Shared Folder. Then accessed everything one user at a time.

Jamie

Posts: 554 | Location: West Bloomfield | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post