Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Linux on PPC Mac?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linux on PPC Mac?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Hello all you experts!

I'm giving my 2002 PPC desktop tower Mac (Quicksilver) to our son's family for Christmas. With our daughter-in-law in school, & 2 younger teens, they need an extra.

MY QUESTION: Our son is quite computer-savvy, but mainly PC's & whatever his shop at GM uses. He has Linux running on a PC at home and loves it.

Would they be better off learning the Mac (my pref, of course!), or would Linux run OK? Since they're already familiar with the Linux apps, it might be easier for them. He's actually expecting to learn the Mac, but I just wondered what prevailing opinion the Mac experts have.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
What OS should be Used?

It comes to one main question:

What is the proposed use for the computer?

Possible Answers and My Recommended OS Choice:

Email and Browsing - Mac OS

iTunes - Mac OS or Windows

Photo and Video - Mac OS X (with help from Adobe, for example)

Computer Science Degree - Linux (several), Mac, and Windows, Virtually hosted in most cases.

However, also consider who is to maintain the system:

computer-savvy son - any OS, if he can commit the timefor "customer support"; otherwise - Mac OS

End User - Mac OS "with a little help from my friends" in MacGroup Detroit

==========

When I consider these questions, especially for family members and friends who know where I live, I can only recommend Mac OS.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Yellow Dog Linux www.yellowdoglinux.com is a CentOS based distribution that works on the cell & power processors. CentOS is RedHat with the RedHat logo stripped out. I've never used Yellow Dog, but I use CentOS on several production servers and it works great.

Posts: 77 | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that OS X is Unix (fully-certified starting with Leopard, previously "Unix-based"). Unix and Linux are also very similar. So your son can learn the Mac and still use his Linux skills in the terminal and with X11 apps. Have him look into MacPorts and Fink for many X11 apps that he'll recognize from Linux.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Very, very helpful. We'll see how it goes.
Yes - Computer Science degree.
I'll point him to this discussion, and am considering a "gift" membership to MacGroup so he can access the bb with questions, etc.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post