Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Drive Genius bug warning (maybe)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drive Genius bug warning (maybe)
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted
I’m a Mac consultant. DiskWarrior is my tool of choice for repairing and rebuilding disk directories. DiskWarrior is great

But it's not the only Mac Utility out there. I also own Drive Genius, from Prosoft.

(Disclaimer: Prosoft’s $99 'Personal Use License' doesn't permit IT professional to use it on client hard drives. For that I’d need Prosoft ‘s $249 'Professional Use License.' Since I don’t have that license, I can’t use it on a client machine—not that I’d want to, for reasons stated below.)

I've found a bug in Drive Genius. I don't know (yet) if it can lead to data loss, but just in case, I want to warn other users.

I recently bought a new hard drive, and decided to use it as a guinea pig test out Drive Genius. Using version 3.0.2 (the current version) I partitioned and formatted my new drive using the Drive Genius Initialize feature, and then decided to test it with the Drive Genius Repair feature. Repair offers three options:
1. Verify
2. Repair
3. Rebuild. (Rebuild seems to be equivalent to what DiskWarrior does.)

I tried all three. Verify and Repair reported no errors. But Rebuild always found errors. And the errors would change from one run to the next.

Perhaps there were problems with my drive? I don’t think so—neither DiskWarrior nor Apple's Disk Utility found any problems.

So I created a Disk Image, mounted the volume, and tested it with Drive Genius. And got the same errors.

I then contacted another Drive Genius user I know, and he tested it out on a freshly formatted flash drive, and he got the same errors, too.

It seems obvious to me that there's a bug in Drive Genius, but it's not clear if that bug affects drive integrity. I will say it's got me nervous.

On Friday I sent a message to Prosoft, asking for an explanation. But since it's a holiday weekend, I don't expect to hear back from then until Tuesday.

If you're curious, the errors looked like this:
 Invalid volume file count
(It should be 45 instead of 43)
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 121903330 instead of 121903331)

On the very next run, I got these errors:
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 45 instead of 43)
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 121903330 instead of 121903331)

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post