Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Repair Permissions question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repair Permissions question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
In 25 words or less, can someone explain why Permissions get corrupted? Just curious.
- Does it apply to "permissions" related to the computer admin or other users? (I'm the only one on my machines.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Permissions can be "corrupted" by:
1. Careless applications programmers (installation data incorrect)
2. Failure to cleanly close an open file (software 'crash' or user action)
3. Electrical transient causing bit errors in memory or disk writes (Note that only ECC memory as used in some servers can even detect errors)

No, I did not count the words.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Should you do a clean install to help permanently solve the problem?

Posts: 424 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
A lot of fuss, most of it usually unwarranted, is made over Permissions and the "Repair Permissions" procedure. This 2006 article from Macworld.com, Repairing permissions, What you need to know, dispels the mystery surrounding this. The basic message is, unless you're having a problem that points to a permissions issue, don't worry about it.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post