Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Empty folders OS 10.9.4
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Empty folders OS 10.9.4
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
A mystery. When I open folders from the sidebar list, some of them are empty. I don't know any other way to access them. ????????
- Screen shot of "empty" applications folder

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
PS: A restart solved the problem. But having to restart just to access folder contents seems excessive, definitely a huge nuisance.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I've noticed a delay in showing the listings occasionally. It will sometimes take 15-30 seconds to the list to appear, but I don't think I've ever had them stay empty. Instead of restarting the computer, what about just relaunching the Finder? (Command-Option-escape to bring up the Force Quit menu, the select Finder.) Might work without going through the entire restart sequence.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3768 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyl. Seems very odd for a Mac. My 2 machines on earlier OS don't do this.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
They get bugs in the screen redraw routines occasionally. The one that drives me nuts (and it's not totally reproduceable) is with opening Launchpad with gestures on the Magic trackpad. It would only open part way and there was no way to dismiss it so you'd have a ghost screen. Click on the wrong spot and it would launch whatever was there, but still wouldn't go away, nor would it let me switch to anything else. I could sometimes fix it by killing the Finder, but a few times I had to do a full restart. Haven't seen it with the latest OS.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3768 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post

—P M Evans

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
I had frequent very slow folder content refresh with 10.9x. The issue seems resolved (at least on my system)with Yosemite and El Cap.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post