Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Another OS 10.9.4 mystery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another OS 10.9.4 mystery
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Expert friends,

OS 10.9.4, 'Tis a mystery: I have numerous folders set up in the Finder sidebar. They seemed to behave OK: Select one, and the contents files are listed. For some reason, this evening all - ALL the sidebar folders show absolutely no content. ??? Finder behaving very strangely. Screen shot, normally defaults to desktop, but nowhere to be found. This attachment done with Grab worked OK.

??????????????

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Have you rebooted the computer? That usually fixes a lot of these strange problems.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

There does not seem to be an attachment (screenshot).

Also try doing a "Repair Permissions" after quitting all running applications.

Restart when it has finished, then run it again and restart afterwards. I have used this successfully in the past.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks friends. I did a restart last evening & all was OK.
Brian - The empty "Books Master Folder" at the bottom of my post IS the screen shot - unless it didn't show up for some reason.

I'm guessing the computer might have overheated. We'll see how it does this evening. So far, so good.

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

I use the Firefox browser and it did not show any attachment. I does show when I read your post using Safari.

Why not use the screen capture feature built into OS X rather than a different program?

Brian

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian Stone,

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Brian - I normally use cmd-shift-capslock-4 and "draw" a screen shot. However the Finder in this case had frozen. Very little was working, but Grab did open.
- Very frustrating at the time, or I wouldn't have bothered posting the problem. It wasn't a one-off issue, but was popping up indiscriminately that evening.
- Still going with the "overheated computer" opinion. Last night seemed OK.