Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Restoring my backed up Hard drive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring my backed up Hard drive
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted
My G 5 PowerPC was taken to Apple. The tech was pleased that I had backed up the hard drive.
The G 5 now has 10.4.11. without files.

I want to know if I can, with the help of migration assistant, download files from the G 4 which has 10.3.9, instead of the back up from the G 5 which was messed up before I had the nerve to do a back up. Once I found out backing up was easy, I backed up all my three MACs.

Now how do I restore the files?
Remember I would like the files from the G 4 not the G5 back up. I would like to bring the files over with the help of migration assistant from the computer not using the back up.
The difference in operating systems has me baffled beside the fact I have never restored.

Posts: 456 | Location: Dearborn Heights | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can use Migration Assistant to bring over the files from the G4 and the G5 if you want. Just run the Assistant and follow the prompts.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I thought I would tag onto this thread rather than start a new one... Is that preferred?

Anyway, my friend with the sick iMac G5 (shutting down all the time) has upgraded to a brand-new 27" iMac.

Can I use Migration Assistant to transfer her documents only? (I'm installing fresh copies of all the apps she uses).

Should I clone her current hard-drive to do this or will her Time Machine backup suffice?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Yes, just bring over the User files, not the Applications. I haven't tried using Migration Assistant with a TM drive, but it's one of the choices for source disks, so it should be fine, as long as it's up to date.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack, it worked like a charm.

Now I'm curious about going forward: can this Time Machine disc be used on the new machine as is or do we need to start again?

Obviously, the disc contains a lot of PowerPC related files that do not belong on an Intel iMac; it would be nice to maintain being able to go back in time to retrieve documents though.

Thanks,

Andrew

PS I have many more questions about this transition; should I put them all into one thread or would it be better to create separate topics?

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Time Machine will recognize that the machine has changed and will start a new backup. It is possible to browse and retrieve files from a different time machine backup than the current active backup.

This thread is titled very narrowly. A new thread with "Question about Migration to a new machine" might be more appropriate.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine:
I want to know if I can, with the help of migration assistant, download files from the G 4 which has 10.3.9, instead of the back up from the G 5 which was messed up before I had the nerve to do a back up. Once I found out backing up was easy, I backed up all my three MACs.

I saw this and I had to say .... Bravo!

You did not let the technology scare you and took the plunge into the backup world and guess what???? It did not hurt a bit. You also got the benefit of being able to move your files. Feels great doesn't it?

My 2 cents! Cool

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1728 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post