Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Time Machine Backup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time Machine Backup
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted
I have a 4 TB external drive being used as our Time Machine backup. It's worked for nearly a year but now it says it out of space. I thought the way Time Machine worked is that it would just started deleting old backups once it got full. Is there a setting I can adjust or something else I can change short of purchasing another drive?

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
That is how Time Machine is supposed to work.
And, there are no settings to adjust.

Is the 4TB drive really out of space?
I got a (erroneous) message like this from
Time Machine a few months ago. Plenty of space
on the drive, but haven't seen it lately.

You can delete unwanted/un-needed files from
a Time Machine backup. I deleted old versions
of software on Time Machine that I knew I'd
never go back to. Freed up GBs of space.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Time Machine should ask you when it is almost full if you want to delete older backups to free up space on the HD. Your other option is to switch to a new HD for your backups. Seems unlikely that a 4TB HD would be full already.

Use Disk Utility to check available space on that drive. Something seems weird about this...

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post