Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    ICloud and iCloud Drive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ICloud and iCloud Drive
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted
Looking forward to the meeting discussion on iCloud tomorrow.

I haven't upgraded to Sierra yet, but I definitely have been using iCloud and iCloud Drive for accessing more of my computers content across my devices than I have in the past. It just became more of a challenge not to, and works very well when I do.

I decided to start backing up my iPhone to iCloud on a daily basis. There's some interesting information you need to know when you do that. And of course you only find out from the teacher "experience."

I certainly will have lots of questions for Dave tomorrow. Smile

Posts: 1621 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
One point that was discussed in yesterday's meeting was the item
I alluded to above: Automatically backing up your iPhone to iCloud on a "daily basis."

Here's how the process will work:
1. Make sure that you have available space in your iCloud account
2. Have iCloud Backup turned on in Settings > your name >iCloud > iCloud Backup
Or, if you are using iOS 10.2 or earlier: Settings > iCloud > Backup
3. Connect to a power source
4. Connect to a WiFi network
5. Make sure your device's screen is locked
6. iCloud backup is set to back up once every 24 hours (normally around 1am or so?)

Here's the fine print:
1. If your device's screen isn't locked, device is not connected to
a power source, and device is not connected to WiFi, the automatic backup to iCloud
will not take place.
2. If you notice that the backup didn't happen, say it's now 10am, and you manually
start the backup yourself > You have now changed the timing of the 24-hour cycle of that
automatic backup from, say 1am, to 10am every morning.
3. If at 10am the next morning, if the conditions of "not connected to a power source,
not connected to WiFi, screen not locked" are met, your automatic backup to iCloud
will not happen and won't until those conditions are met, at 10am whatever day.

So, if you do a manual backup to iCloud you might want to be cognizant of the time.
If you work out, have an Apple Watch, and want to make sure your workout activity
isn't somehow lost, manual backup to iCloud as soon as you've completed your goals for the day.
You can do a manual backup at any time, even several times a day.

To get back to having the phone backup when you're not using it,
backup as soon as you plug your iPhone in for the night.
The next night, 24 hours later, if the screen is locked, the device is plugged and and
connected to WiFi, the automatic backup to iCloud will occur on its own.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post