Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Sierra upgrade question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra upgrade question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends, Am ready to take the plunge on my mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro, currently on OS10.9.5. Is there a way to purchase Sierra on media at an Apple Store? I purchased & downloaded 2 older OS's (Lion, Snow Leopard) from the App store some months back. No problems installing, but EACH one took 5 or 6 hours to download on my DSL connection. Might be a deal breaker.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Unless there is something in Sierra that you really need, I think I'd stick with Mavericks, Mary Jo. I'd guess that you may have software that Sierra will break. I kept my old late 2009 iMac and have it running Yosemite. I occasionally convert old Redford High Concert LPs to CD and the software I use doesn't work with Sierra. Ditto some of the scanner software I used for my old Canon portable scanner.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyl,

I looked into getting Yosemite, with no success. All the downloads I found were updates if it was already installed.
The straw that decided this: I decided to purchase the latest version of music notation software that I use fairly often (my current v. is 2011). Company had a nearly half-price special deal for "April Fool's" weekend. I planned to install on the laptop named above, but the software requires 10.10 or later (Mavericks is 10.9 - wouldn't install).

Still have my early 2008 MacBook Pro humming along, new SSD drive recently, older OS, so hopefully am covered. My main desktop Mini has 10.8.5.

My decision: Went ahead with the free download of Sierra, which is working on the 13" laptop as we speak. Only 5 hours total! 3 to go at this point.

Backed up the 13" before doing the download. Hopefully it won't try to "install itself." Hoping to get to bed at some reasonable hour.
Thanks again Phyl

PS: The 13" is used mainly for genealogy stuff, including Reunion 10. May have to update that - will find out, but hopefully will be easy. No big Adobe apps, etc.

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
DSL downloads are horrible. I remember those days, but the files were much smaller. Major hint: When it finishes downloading, stop the install. The installer file will be in the Applications folder. Copy it to a flash drive or backup drive, then go back and run it. Once it installs, it will erase the installer file from the Applications folder. Once upon a time you could just move the file to a different location and it would stay there, but I'm not sure if that still applies.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phyllis Evans:
... Once upon a time you could just move the file to a different location and it would stay there, but I'm not sure if that still applies.

Still works fine - you must interrupt the automatically started installation first. The 'Install macOS Sierra.app' may be copied or moved as desired. This includes to other eligible machines.

You can also make a USB installer using the Terminal and the 'createinstallmedia' program buried deep within the installer. This works with almost any USB-attached drive, whether flash or spinning rust. This is described in the Apple Support article Create a bootable installer for macOS.

Still confused? Go to the MacGroup Detroit Genius Table. We can help. We have "been there, done that."

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, thank you for all the advice.
A. I DID manage to save the installer, did NOT install Sierra, but burned the installer to a double layer DVD.

B. Currently looking into some alternatives I found for getting earlier OS versions. - May be able to install Yosemite or El Capitan. After going through with it, will let folks know how it went, but don't want to appear to recommend anything before I know it's OK. Reviews are quite positive. - And thanks to Brian Stone for our conversation in this regard.

(PS: Just noticed I'm a "Poobah" whatever that is - hope it's good!)

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
"Who are you to ask this question?"

Pooh-Bah holds numerous exalted offices, including "First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chief Justice, Commander-in-Chief, Lord High Admiral ... Archbishop ... Lord Mayor" and "Lord High Everything Else".

See Gilbert & Sullivan's Mikado.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Somehow I just knew I was destined for greatness.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Yosemite 10.10.5 successfully installed in about one hour on 13" MacBook Pro mid 2012. No install hitches. So far iPhoto is the only app with the "no-can-do" sign. Didn't open it, but located the iPhoto photo archive & double clicked, Photos opened it.

The only odd thing was the install wound up requiring Apple id, but wouldn't accept the one I've used (rarely) since fall 2014. So I went through the process of changing it (no change in email - only password).

After Yosemite was active, App store showed "2 updates," one of which was this iPhoto item (attached image), but when I selected "Update" the App store wouldn't accept EITHER the new password OR the previous one. ???

Poobah
posted Hide Post
New Apple id refused.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Previous Apple id also refused.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Wanted to post link to my source for Yosemite (& El Capitan) on Amazon. Alas, my order list shows it, but Amazon has apparently taken this item down. ?????????

Both on a thumb drive that is bootable for repairs, etc., but it's suddenly disappeared. Happily I received the one I ordered. Includes the return address & name of sender who sold on Amazon as "Macinstaller."

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Two questions answered:
1. The iPhoto update was for Yosemite 10.10.3, but mine is 10.10.5.

2. Tried logging in to the App Store on a different computer with the NEW password - was accepted OK.

Installer purchased from Amazon still not showing on their site:
2-in-1 Mac OS X Yosemite + El Capitan Bootable USB for Install / Upgrade / Repair