Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    FaceTime 2.0 not working in OS X 10.8
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FaceTime 2.0 not working in OS X 10.8
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
I haven't used FaceTime for a long time on my iMac, opened it up today & it won't work. The app opens but pretty much everything is ghosted out, including the preferences. I've tried it in 2 different OS X user accounts.

It is version 2.0 (1080) which came with Mountain Lion.
Version 1.0.2 is what's on the App Store so I am confused. Some people have claimed to find a fix, yet don't say what the fix is.

Is there a fix, or do I just buy version 1.0.2?

I'm on OS X 10.8.3

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
The App Store v1.02 listing is confusing. I think its for those on older OS's to upgrade (and it's a pay-for). Its version and create date are much earlier than the v2.0 installed with Mountain Lion. Face Time on my MBP (Mt. Lion 10.8.3 upgraded from original Lion install) has worked just fine. Any update of 2.0 would be announced as a Software Update notification.
Have you tried, after launching FaceTime, doing Command-K (Turn FaceTime ON)? When in "Off" state, FT's Prefs and other menu selections are grayed out. If you can turn it ON, you may or may not need to Log In to FaceTime with your Apple ID.
Also, do you have Firewall turned on and possibly restricting traffic on the ports that FaceTime and Messages apps need?

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
I forgot you could access FaceTime through Messages, had to set up my preferences in Messages, now it is working.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
AIM: Online Status For suzdreyfus
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I was so excited after reading this, but after checking my iMessage on that computer, I can't log on to that either. What am I doing wrong?

Posts: 102 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Are you running 10.8? If not, you can't run Messages any more.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
posted Hide Post
Yes. 10.8.5.

Posts: 102 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I'm running 10.8.5 and Facetime 2.0 and it runs fine.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
So when you say "can't log on", what, exactly are you doing, and what is the error that occurs?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
posted Hide Post
I hope you can see the screen shot.
/Users/suzy/Desktop/Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 6.15.16 AM.png

It tells me to check my network connection.

Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
posted Hide Post
OOps, let me try again.

screen shot

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Are you positive you are using the correct Apple ID and password?

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
posted Hide Post
The Apple ID I've been using is my me.com email and my apple password. Take is the password I use to download apps.

Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
posted Hide Post
The Apple ID I've been using is my me.com email address. And the password is the same one I use to download apps. Correct? Or is this my problem?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
That would be correct.

Has this ever worked?

Look at the discussion at https://discussions.apple.com/...001?start=0&tstart=0 and see if any of those things help you.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
posted Hide Post
Yes. We just moved this past January, 2013, stayed with ATT, upgraded the system to wireless. This is why I'm confused.

Thank you Jack for the web page you sent. It sounds like a lot of things I may need to try and I'm afraid I'll do something to my computer, Im not that brave. I will just leave it alone, not worth it just to get imessage and FaceTime when I could bring in my ipad or iPhone. I'm disappointed.

Thank you for much for all the help all of you.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Did it work until you went wireless? Can you go wired and see if it works?

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
posted Hide Post
Yes, it did work until I went wireless, but how do I do that? I do have a at&t /U-verse box for TV next to this computer. I'm sorry to ask, but is this something I would connect to that?

Thank you for your help in not giving up. Suzy

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Well, not being able to see your set up, it's pretty hard for me to say anything more than generic instructions. But you should be able to plug a LAN cable into your Mac and into a LAN port on your AT&T device.

===