Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Question - How to disable iCloud in Sierra 10.12.6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question - How to disable iCloud in Sierra 10.12.6
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Am figuring out Sierra on a "new" (2015 MacBookPro refurb) computer. I DID NOT sign up for iCloud Drive during setup, but apparently iCloud (?basic version) is activated anyway. I don't have a tablet or iPhone. Have been using Dropbox, which keeps copies of files on BOTH the cloud AND the local computer. (Read instructions on iCloud that stated it removes docs from the computer without maintaining copies locally. Bad idea.)
MY QUESTION: Have read method for disabling iCloud, but interested in opinions.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
iCloud *can* move items off your system, but it doesn't have to. You just make sure the settings don't let it. Then it works like Dropbox.

That said, you can also not use it at all in two ways. One, never put anything in the directory. Two, uncheck iCloud Drive in the iCloud pane of System Settings.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

iCloud pane

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
If you want to use iCloud but not have it move anything, leave it active in the iCloud pane and make sure you uncheck "Desktop and Documents folders" in the options and leave "Optimize Mac storage" unchecked as well.

Of course, with a lousy 5 GB for free, unless you are willing to pay for more it's probably best to just turn it off.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

iCloud options

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Sorry to say I don't trust Apple for this kind of thing. In the past, as I recall, they initiated special services, then eventually took them down and started something else & left some people without email or other function.
iCloud sounds useful for folks that need to coordinate tablets, iPhones, but am personally trying my best to keep tech life productive but simplified (if that's possible these days!) - as I'm the only "tech" at our house.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post