Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    iMac shuts won't fully boot after 10.6.6 Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iMac shuts won't fully boot after 10.6.6 Update
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
AIM: Online Status For macike
posted
I updated to 10.6.6 on a 20" imac,and now it won't fully boot up. I get the spinning wheel, with the light Blue background, and then it shuts down without fully-booting. I have a daily Super Duper backup,but I can't get to the regular desktop. I dis-connected the printer and external drive,but it wont fully boot,and shuts itself down. Any suggestions on what to do next? Any help would be appreciated. The update went fine on my MacBook Pro;the same procedures were followed.

Posts: 185 | Location: Southfield, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your OS had a small issue that turned into a larger one after the update. Did you run Disk Utility > Repair Permissions before the update? Had you experienced any odd/strange software issues over the last few weeks?

The fact that it makes it to the blue screen makes me believe the OS is failing during the Startup process. You may want to attempt to boot from your 10.6 install disk and Verify/Repair Disk via Disk Utility. Restart when finished and let us know what happens. You may only need and Archive and Install of 10.6 to get back up and running.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
I started from the Snow Leopard Disc,and tried to repair the HD,but it couldn't be repaired. Thank God I have been doing a daily Super Duper backup! I erased the internal drive,booted from the external one, and am currently cloning it back to the internal drive. So far,so good. I'll report back after the cloning is finished,and I re-boot from the internal HD. Thanks to MacGroup and others for stressing Backups (cloning AND Time Machine!)

Posts: 185 | Location: Southfield, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave,I appreciate your help and quick response. All seems well. After erasing and repairing the iMac's internal HD,it said,"the disk appears to be ok". Do you suggest any other disc-maintenance or precautions? Do you normally wait a few days/weeks before you upgrade? Thank you.