Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    partition?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

partition?
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
How do I partition my external hd for superduper backup and TM, and is it possible to make a partition to back up my sons iBook? Randy

Posts: 43 | Location: Wayne, MI USA | Registered: January 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
You partition a Hard Drive via the Disk Utility program. It is located in the Applications folder in the Utilities folder. Select the top icon for the HD you want to partition.

This will erase ALL Data from that Hard drive!

There is a menu bar inside of the Disk Utility window, if you see 5 choices you are on the right track. Choose "Partition" and then change "Current" to the number of Partitions you want.

It sounds like you want 3 partitions and you should be able to accomplish this with ease. You are able to choose the size of each Partition. Calculate the sizes you will need and set them up. Make your Time Machine partition the largest. SuperDuper should be about 10 gigs larger than what your current system is.

Is your son's iBook running 10.5??? If so, just use TimeMachine for his. Older OS's will require you to 'drop and drag' data for backup. MobilMe Users have the Backup software they can install to work with 10.4 or older systems.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted Hide Post
Dave's advice is good, but if you're using SuperDuper, and you want to be able to boot of that drive, you'll need to change the partition scheme to GUID Partition Table.

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It's an iBook (PowerPC), so APM is the correct partition type. If there's an Intel machine to be backed up also, and you want a SuperDuper-style backup, it's easier to put them on separate drives.

Do *not* use the same disk for Time Machine and a SuperDuper backup for the same computer. Yes, you *can*, but it's a bad idea. If you lose the disk drive hardware, or the partition tables are corrupted, you have lost *both* of your backups. Put them on separate physical drives.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
I realized on re-reading my post that I made an error. Intel Macs can boot from a drive partitioned either way. What you can't do on an Intel Mac is install Mac OS X on an APM drive.

quote:
iBook

quote:
It's an iBook (PowerPC), so APM is the correct partition type

Actually the original question mentioned some unnamed Mac and an iBook.

Of course, since both can boot from an APM-partitioned drive, that's the way to go.

Of course I agree on your comments about putting two backups on one drive. I would expand on them a bit. If you have enough drive space, and don't have a 2nd drive, I don't really see the problem. For a while I was backing up my 160GB drive to a 500GB backup drive. I'd created a 160GB partition for SuperDuper, and used the rest for Time Machine.

It's not as good as having those on two separate drives, but it's better than having only 1 backup on 1 drive.

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I guess Jack and I have to disagree with Steven about using only one drive.
quote:
Jack Beckman says, "Do *not* use the same disk for Time Machine and a SuperDuper backup for the same computer. Yes, you *can*, but it's a bad idea. If you lose the disk drive hardware, or the partition tables are corrupted, you have lost *both* of your backups. Put them on separate physical drives."

If you think the problem with two drives is money, you should perform an elementary financial analysis:

The starting price for your computer and software is probably around $1000. If you use MS Office or Photoshop or Creative Suite, you have spend much more than that.

An external drive is anywhere from $80 to $200, depending on size.

Your time is worth anywhere from $10 to $100 per hour, depending on who are your clients (yourself at the low end, paying clients at the high end) How long will it take to re-do your work, if the originals are not lost forever?

What is the value of your reputation? Do you want your clients to be disappointed? Do you want your relatives and friends to be disappointed?

========

A Time Machine backup provides a memory for any file changed more than an hour ago. Thus, it protects against your errors as well as system software and hardware errors. In a pinch, a full Time Machine backup can be used as part of a system restore. If you want to wait that long.

A clone backup, like one by SuperDuper or CCC, provides rapid restoration of a failed system, even if the failure is other than the disk drive. It is the one backup that should be mandatory prior to any significant upgrade.

Mixing the two purposes on one piece of hardware is a gamble I can never recommend for my friends and clients.

See Calvin's blog entries for further discussions on backup.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mixing the two purposes on one piece of hardware is a gamble I can never recommend for my friends and clients.

What is the gamble?

You've claimed it's a bad idea, but you haven't put forth any reason as to why.

Remember, I had partitioned my drive into two volumes. TM used one volume, SD used the other. Yes, a failure of my backup drive meant I had no backups, but corruption to one volume couldn't affect the other. (Not that it ever happened.)

I used them both because I had the benefit of being able to boot to my SD volume if my internal drive became unbeatable. And the benefit of Time Machine's versioning. How is this any worse that someone who uses just one of these utilities on a volume with only a single partition?

Of course backups to two physical drives is better than one, even if you're using the same backup tool on both. (i.e. SuperDuper backups to two drives is safer than a SuperDuper backup to a single drive.)

Now I use a Time Capsule for Time Machine,

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
One more thing:
quote:
What is the value of your reputation? Do you want your clients to be disappointed?

Getting my clients to spend money on even a single backup is like pulling teeth. Many don't do it until after they've lost data.

For my business clients, I recommend buying duplicate servers, but so far I've only convinced one to do it, and that was after a server failure. In that case, two hours of corporate downtime cost more than the extra server.

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Klein:
quote:

What is the gamble?

The Gamble is should you experience a HD failure, you have lost ALL backups! Multiple drives for backup serve to provide "peace of mind" protection. There is a good reason for the saying "Don't keep all your eggs in one basket"

If the partition that failed is the second (or last) partition of how you divided up your HD, you are Out of Luck. You will have to repartition the entire HD.

Since external HD's can be purchased for as low as $50, cost is not an excuse. Unless you keep nothing of value on your computer...

People who have lost data are the easiest people to convince to start backing up. Otherwise those non backup Users fall into one of two camps, Foolish or Lazy.

Clients who don't follow your advice about backups deserve what happens to them. They agreed to pay YOU for help. Perhaps you need to show them on paper how much money they stand to lose due to downtime. Gather quotes from companies like DriveSavers.com and your costs for software recovery/rebuilding to open their eyes. Telling people isn't enough. Seeing it in black and white is much more effective.

Dave McGuire

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Gamble is should you experience a HD failure, you have lost ALL backups!

And how is that any different if you have one backup drive and use only SuperDuper?
quote:
Multiple drives for backup serve to provide "peace of mind" protection.

I get the same piece of mind from a single backup. That's the purpose of a backup. How many spire tires do you have in your car?

The only reason I have two backups now is that the backups are of different types: Time Machine and Super Duper. In the OS X 10.4 Tiger days, there was no Time Machine and I had only 1 backup.
quote:
If the partition that failed is the second (or last) partition of how you divided up your HD, you are Out of Luck. You will have to repartition the entire HD.

Not true at all. I can just reformat the partition.
quote:
Since external HD's can be purchased for as low as $50, cost is not an excuse.

It's an excuse for someone who doesn't have the $50. I have a [pro-bono] client who needs food stamps to feed her family. I suspect she would be insulted at your "cost is not an excuse" comment.
quote:
Gather quotes from companies like DriveSavers.com and your costs for software recovery/rebuilding to open their eyes. Telling people isn't enough. Seeing it in black and white is much more effective.

That's an excellent suggestion, and I will certainly put it into practice. (I've told clients about the cost, but I don't recall ever putting it in writing.)

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
My 2 Cents,

My ...... the passion certainly is running for a subject like backup.

What you do for backup is up to you based on the amount of risk / exposure you can tolerate.

If the Steve Klien method in this thread will give you piece of mind, fine. It's a backup. Is it the best, no. Is it what I would do, no. Does it mean it's wrong, no. As long as one understands and accepts the risk to the type of backup they are doing, it's okay.

The most important thing is to backup, and understand the limitations of the backup and if it is covering all of your needs for disater recovery.

While If a client needs food stamps to feed thier family, I would also suspect that they are not doing any mission critical business on thier computer. However, if they could afford the computer, they really are not that far from affording some sort of backup media. Even if it's just a 8 or 16 gigabyte flash drive.

Bottom line to the above comment, budget AUTOMATICALLY a backup solution into any computer purchase.

Once again..... My 2 cents.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1728 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
An interesting approach to budget backups is to use a USB flash drive to transport precious files to a friend (or friends) with spare disk capacity.

This fully qualifies as an robust off-site backup process.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Steven wrote:
"It's an excuse for someone who doesn't have the $50. I have a [pro-bono] client who needs food stamps to feed her family. I suspect she would be insulted at your "cost is not an excuse" comment."

I truly doubt she would be insulted at my comment. Perhaps humiliated at the mention of her family's situation on a public forum. Let's not bring this up again for her sake.

I do like the idea of using a Flash drive for storing important files (tax returns, resumes, emails and some treasured family photos) for safe keeping. Perhaps at another family member's home. You could encrypt the drive to prevent snooping too!

Of course burning info to CD or DVD discs would be just as effective. Just would require more of an effort on the Users part.

Dave McGuire

Jedi Knight
Picture of Yvonne
posted Hide Post
I do backups for both my computers. While they are not perfect sorry I currently only use 1 drive for my imac and 1 for my macbook. I look at it this way something is better than nothing. I will get an extra drive for my imac and so it will be a perfect way to backup. I also do keep important files on my .mac account and sync those files every weekend. I did have an issue that having an extra computer saved me. I had joined the beta for the calendar that Apple had set up. Well I followed what they said to do and when it was all said and done I could not get the calendars on my ipad to update. So I thought ok I would leave this beta. I ended up losing all my calendars on my imac. Not good at all. I synced my calendars from my macbook and was back in business. I guess what I am saying is something is better than nothing and while yes not everyone has the extra money for 2 drives having that important file on your laptop or ipad it can and will save you occasionally.

"Life begins when you leave your comfort zone"

Posts: 312 | Location: Redford, Mi | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post