Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Why is Local Host name changing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is Local Host name changing?
 Login/Register

posted
I think my first attempt to post my query failed. This is try 2.

Mac Mini with OS 10.9.5 is giving me a message that the Local Host name has been changed because there is already a computer with the same name on the network. The name stays the same but is augmented by a digit. I am up to number "4".

The message is untrue. I do not have another computer with the same name. A Google search suggests DVD/CD sharing should be turned off, but it is not on. Time Machine is being used.

Do I have a serious problem or do I just need to change a setting? Specifics on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nancy

Posts: 9 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
It's an Apple operating system bug. There's not much you can do about it.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will just watch the name escalate in number and not worry.

Posts: 9 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You might want to set it back to where it was, but otherwise, it's Apple's problem and they need to fix it.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post