Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    All Snow Leopard Users
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Snow Leopard Users
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
posted

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
This is serious. Apple needs to address it right away. Anyone in our group experienced it?

I wonder if the data is still there, but the directory was compromised. - Would there be a way to regain access?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
While I agree it's serious and yes it should be patched right away, I would dare say that it affects only a small percentage of users. Guest accounts are not enabled by default. So only those users who had them turned on in Leopard and then upgraded to Snow Leopard are affected. Since less than 20% of Apple's base is on Snow Leopard so far and probably (I'm guess here), less than 10% of those users had Guest accounts enabled, only a small number of people will be in danger. Again, it should be fixed. However, I don't think mass panic is in order here.

Here are more details.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6154 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
There is some opinion that this is not a new problem. (I lost the citation.) The same source opined that 10.6.2 would contain a fix. So, panic and doom predictions are probably inappropriate.

All that said, I am NOT apologizing for Apple. Aim stones elsewhere.

Mary Jo,

Restoring from a backup is the only certain way to get the data back. The biggest complaints I've seen about this problem contain phrases like, "...lost 250GB of data that was not backed up." I confess a tendency to have a mild lack of sympathy in such cases.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it affects data on external drives that are excluded from time Machine? That could be a loss of photo and video files! Thanks for the "how to" to protect ourselves.

Posts: 152 | Location: Commerce Township | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that "There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!"

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:
I read somewhere that "There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!"

That was Brian Stone. Right?
--

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Carver
AIM: Online Status For wgcarver
posted Hide Post
The one exception? Mac user Brent Spiner. He will never lose Data

Never see a doctor whose office plants have died.

Posts: 454 | Location: Eastpointe | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Bill, go to your room. That was a true groaner.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Carver:
The one exception? Mac user Brent Spiner. He will never lose Data

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3781 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:

That was Brian Stone. Right?
--

I last heard this quote of sage by Mr. White.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1728 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post