Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Change folder color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Change folder color
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Experts all,
I just spent the afternoon downloading El Capitan & installing on my late 2009 Mac Mini. So far everything is working OK - no big problems (other than taking a rather long time.)

My only quibble: I find the bright blue folder color annoying. Would like to change it. Have been through all system prefs, Finder prefs, Get info & haven't found any color choices available for changing folder color.

Is it possible? Thanks very much.

(Was the OS change worth it? - Yes, mainly because now I can get Dropbox to work on this older machine! But those blue folders!!!)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2070 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,

• Find any folder with an icon you like and copy it to your machine. (There are also lots of programs that make icons from images--Image2Icon.app, for example.)
  • Select that folder and a target folder and do ⌘-i (Get Info).
  • Select the small icon on the source folder and copy it using ⌘-c.
  • Select the small icon on the target folder and use ⌘-v to paste the new icon.

Instead of using Finder > File > New Folder simply duplicate (⌘-d) an empty copy of the preferred folder.

Changing the system icons is messy and, sometimes, difficult. I won't give advice for El Capitan. I have no machines with that OS.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, without getting too complicated, I tried this. It worked OK, but is a work in progress. (LOTS of folders on my computer! - may try a different color, or ??????)

1. Using the El Capitan desktop image, I drew a screen shot next to a folder on the desktop to approximate the size & shape.

2. Opened the screen shot in Preview. Copied from the Edit menu.

3. Did "get info" for a folder.

4. Selected the small folder image, top of the Get Info window.

5. "Pasted" the copied screen shot.

At least the color coordinates with the El Cap. desktop. If I change the desktop image, color may not blend, but is a BIG improvement over the Apple blue. (Found several forums discussing the same issue. That blue is just not beloved! Some pretty nasty remarks here & there.)

My screen shot doesn't look like a folder, but is still an improvement for the time being.

Posts: 2070 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
PS: Thanks Jim for the essential process. Looked at many folder icons on the computer, but most were too specific to an app or such. Photos is taking too long to open my picts to hunt there.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post

• Go to http://www.iconarchive.com/sho...s-by-shaunkleyn.html.
  • Click on an icon.
  • Click on icns do down load it.
  • Select the downloaded folder and a local folder.
  • Do ⌘-i (Get Info)
  • Drag the large lower image directly to the little icon on the target folder.
  • Wait for the icon to be loaded.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Shaunkleyn-Phlat-Blue-Folders-Music.icns (68 Kb, 25 downloads)

Posts: 1971 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Jim - The link seems to go to a collection of the type of blue folders I'm trying to change to something else. ???

Poobah
posted Hide Post
OK, I took the bait and started looking through the icons. Still deciding.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
While I do now use custom icons
for some of my folders for this very
reason; being able to color-code a
folder was tremendously helpful.
I wish it would come back, especially in Mail.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Apple giveth and Apple taketh away. Why on earth they change established features that are useful to many is a mystery. One wonders if they ever communicate with the real world outside of technology's latest / greatest / gotta-have-it folks.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, well, well. Look at this screen shot of the El Capitan sidebar next to a main folder. Sidebar folders are generic gray. I tried a screen shot & copy-paste, just to see it. Still not as good as artistic icon versions, but possible.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Applied to a folder.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Jim - A "nice" blue! Thanks for the link. Lots to explore.

http://www.iconarchive.com/sho...s-by-hopstarter.html