Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Computer name change mystery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer name change mystery
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
This has happened twice the past few days. I set SuperDuper to back up to a designated partition of an external drive, and walk away. No discernible problems with SD.

When I get back to work - usually next day - A message appears "The name of your computer "Mary Jo Disler's xxx" is already in use on this network. the name has been changed to "Mary Jo Disler's xxx (2)" - Then instructions for changing the name in SysPrefs.

The first time, I thought it was picking up the name of my laptop when it had been networked, so did a name change for the desktop.

Well, today, same thing happened, but this time it quoted the changed name I entered & (2).

All I can figure out is that there may be an issue between the SD partition & the second partition which is dedicated to Time Machine.

If I change the name again in SysPrefs, the same problem will likely just keep reproducing itself.

Any ideas? ??????

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
maybe we have the same H1N1!
did you see my post on snow leopard?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Actually this is not a SL upgrade per se, but a new computer with the old desktop stuff migrated over. Mostly I'm happy with how things are going, but I think it may have been a mistake to run both TimeMachine & SD on 2 partitions of the same drive. - Just waiting for the opinion of some of our hi-techs.

- Was hoping to manage with just one backup drive to minimize all the power plugs & connectors. We'll see. There's no real damage done - just a name conundrum.

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
I've had this happen in the past (under Leopard). Somehow the system thought it saw itself on the network (maybe because I had both an Airport and wired connection to the network at the same time).

Do you by any chance have two connections to your network?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
If you mean physical connections: There is one backup drive (a miniStack v3), but it has 2 partitions. One for SuperDuper so I have a bootable backup, and the other for Time Machine.

For Time Machine to work, it's "on" all the time, with both partition volumes mounted on the desktop.

If I need to do this differently, am open to suggestion. The miniStack is 1T total.

One more comment: In locating a folder for something, I noticed that the path is
Mary Jo Disler's MacMini (2) > Macintosh HD > Users > [my home folder] > [the folder that's open]. So it is apparently renaming the deepest root level.

Just checked the names at root level for both partitions, and they're both reading the same [MacMini (2)] .

It originally was renamed just "Mary Jo Disler's MacMini" - Then today it "changed" the name by adding the (2).

According to the dialog, it is renaming the "Computer Name" in SysPrefs Sharing. That's where I changed it the first time according the the dialog instructions. - But it renamed it after completing a SuperDuper backup. Hope this makes sense.

I'm not having any other issues that are discernible for now. Computer works normally.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I was asking about *network* connections. Do you have an Airport and wired connection on at the same time?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Hi Jack:

I had this happen on a customers machine not long ago after they named the new machine that same as the old one then ram the Migration Assistant and the new machine and the old machine ended up with this kind of conflict.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
The only wired connection is to the backup drive mentioned above.

The only wireless connection is through a 2Wire DSL router. It connects with my MBPro laptop when I use it, but the laptop is off most of the time. I thought it might have caused the problem the first time the rename happened, as I used it the night before. But it was off when I ran SuperDuper both times the renaming incident happened.

The 2002 desktop Mac from which everything was migrated was reformatted with new owner info, new Tiger system through 10.4.11 installed along with a few older Mac apps, and given to my son's family on Christmas Day, so it can't possibly be "finding" it. (It's in Brighton! I'm in W.Bloomfield.)

I just received an answer from Dave at Shirt Pocket (Super Duper) - Had emailed asking if they had reports of a renaming after running SD. His answer this morning "Never."

Will pose my question a little differently:
Does anyone else have both Time Machine and bootable partitions on one drive for a SL machine? If so, have they had a similar incident?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Brian - In case it makes any difference: I ran the migration when the new Mini was first turned on. Had it set up & ready to go.

Actually migrated from a SD backup, external drive, not directly from the old machine (- so I could use a FW 800 cable)
- The external drive for the migration was NOT the one now used for the backup, and it has not been connected or used with any computer since then.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Yet another thought: Sometimes Airport picks up signals from the neighborhood, probably via the 2Wire.
- I'll turn it off before running SD & see what happens.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

Your 2 wire modem has nothing to do with seeing your neighbors via your AirPort. Their signal is just strong enough for your AirPort card to see their wireless signal. You do not need to turn your modem/router off before running SD.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Makes sense Brian. I realized that just because their signal turns up doesn't mean that their computer can be accessed.

Dave at Shirt Pocket said "There's no difference between migrating from the SD! backup and migrating from the Mac."

?????????????????????????

Did your customer solve their rename issue? As I mentioned, my old machine is long gone to my son's house, reformatted, set up in their name, so that can't be the problem.

Any thoughts about maybe replacing a prefs file with an earlier one from Time Machine?

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,

Open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility
Select the SD! target partition
Click Unmount
See if the problem occurs while the SD! target partition is unmounted.

===

Leave the partition unmounted except when needed for a backup. If you use scheduled SD! backups, shell scripts can be created to do this automatically.

This also avoids confusion and accidental opening of the backup copy of a file or application.

-

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Jim - Did the unmount of SD partition.
The name change hasn't occurred again - likely because I haven't done another SD backup since that's what seemed to initiate the change. After the change happens BOTH TM & SD are labelled with the name change, so that might be the problem.

If I mount SD for a backup, it may happen again if it's picking up the duplicate name from the TimeMachine partition. Am considering setting SD to shut down the computer after a backup to see if that makes a difference.

Should the TM partition be unmounted during a SD backup?

(See Jim - I try not to disappoint you by posting frivolous problems!!)

Poobah
posted Hide Post
If a Time Machine drive/partition is connected to a computer and turned on, BUT unmounted, does it still do the backups?

Does unmounting a drive or partition mean it is not recognized by the computer, therefore inactive?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
The OS can't use an unmounted partition. It will not re-mount it unless you do.

===

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Update: I mounted the SuperDuper partition to run a backup yesterday evening. Set SD to shut down the computer, rather than "Sleep"as before.

When I turned it on today, there was no rename message, and the name in Time Machine hadn't changed. Therefore am guessing the OS caused the name change sometime overnight during the maintenance routine. (????)

Have never unmounted the TM partition.