Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Bluetooth between computers question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluetooth between computers question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends and experts all,

Just curious: Last Monday wireless service (AT&T DSL) here was at a CRAWL (as in "dial-up"), even when I tried transferring some large files directly between computers. Normally a direct transfer is pretty fast, so it was a mystery.
MY QUESTION: Would setting up Bluetooth between computers improve a wireless transfer? I tried setting it up today, and code numbers agreed. However nothing seemed to happen when I selected a file to transfer (fairly large Youtube download).
- Tried a "normal" direct transfer which went fast today. Still wondering about any possible performance value in Bluetooth between computers. Thanks much for ideas.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

When you transfer data between computers on your internal network DSL has nothing to do with it. You would only be going through your router to the other Computer not across DSL. DSL is only involved when you are accessing the internet.

One thing to try would be to power off your router wait about one minute then restart the router and reboot the computers. I think that would correct the problem.

I do not know of any way to connect one computer to another via Bluetooth I do believe that it is only going to work for peripherals.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I'm with Brian. Try rebooting the router. I also stay away from Apple's file trasfer stuff. Even AirDrop can be painfully slow to even connect. A couple of years ago I found a great free app called DropCopy . It's very fast and easy to use. You can download it from the App Store.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3768 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Phyllis: What finds of things do you use Dropcopy for to transfer? I see the free version only allows 25 "previews", whatever that is.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Donna, I think the 25 previews only applies to the iOS version. Full iOS version is $5 and I'll gladly pay it when I reach my preview limit. I've used it to transfer all types of files and folders between my iMac and my MacBook. If I've downloaded an update for one of my apps on the iMac, it's usually faster to transfer with DropCopy than to download it again on the MacBook.

I've also discovered that it is much faster to transfer photos from my iPhone to my desktop using DropCopy. I don't have to wait for iPhoto to sync through iCloud. And while AirDrop is limited to the current operating systems, DropCopy works across older systems.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3768 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the DSL confusion. Actually our AT&T DSL box is ALSO a router, switch, wireless access. Has ports for ethernet cables, etc. - an "all-in-one". That's why I wondered if network activity had anything to do with the slowdown. Sometimes I look at the Airport logo and there are anywhere from 10 - 20 other people on the neighborhood network.

Apparently the problem was temporary, as the past few days things work normally.

At home, whenever I have additional computers booted (laptops, desktop mini), they automatically show up on the computer I'm using. I can simply select the external one from the finder sidebar, "Connect" with correct name & password, and move things back & forth directly. - No Airdrop or other apps involved, other than setting "Sharing" in prefs. The mystery a few days ago was why transfer was M U C H S-L-0-O-O-O-O-O-W-E-R than usual.

Hope this makes sense. Seems OK for now.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
The mystery a few days ago was why transfer was M U C H S-L-0-O-O-O-O-O-W-E-R than usual.

Mary Jo:

This can happen as a natural order of things. It happens occasionally on non-DSL systems also. That's was why I suggested that you power off and restart everything. That normally resets everything back to the way it should be.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post