Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Getting info from old to new computer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting info from old to new computer?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
I will be getting a new computer and would like to know how to get the info stored in keychain onto the new computer and also what I need to do to get 1Password files onto the new computer. Would prefer not to bring all the old extraneous files no longer needed onto the new HD, so suggestions on migrating needed files would be appreciated, e.g. plug-ins for PS, LR, etc. Thanks.

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Nina,

Migration to a new machine can be scary but does not have to be so. The most important task is having a good complete backup. Next is de-authorization for some programs like older versions of Adobe products, Audible and iTunes authorization, and the like. Once you have taken care of these, using migration assistant to transfer selected items, like user accounts and, maybe, network configuration,should be the best path.

Consider why you need the keychain contents. Migration Assistant brings each account keychain. Even with some obsolete entries, the total size is still small. The other question is how to define "extraneous files". If you mean applications and the like, after you have made a complete (clone) backup with SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, you can do some cleanup before migration.

Here is a standard procedure that has served well on many machines and through many revisions of OS X.

On the first login to a new machine:
  • Create an account for management only, like "MyMacBoss" and completely skip iCloud setup.
  • Set up a network connection.
  • Log into the App Store and make certain that OS X on the new machine is completely up to date.
  • Install any App Store purchase as needed or wanted.
The result here is a robust OS X installation which is up to date.

Having a complete working OS X machine, it is time to Migrate:
  • Plug in the backup clone (or old system using Target Disk mode).
  • Launch Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant.app.
  • Select source volume just connected.
  • Select the User account(s) to migrate.
  • Start the migration.
  • After migration completion, Restart the machine.

After the system reboots:
  • Login to your account -- SKIP iCloud setup. No kidding - skip iCloud setup on first login.
  • Go to System Preferences > iCloud and confirm it is configured correctly, fixing whatever needs fixing.
  • One by one, go through through applications to confirm configurations -- sometimes Apple changes things for you.
  • Re-install, authorize, or do whatever is peculiar to your use.
  • Restart to be certain
  • If you are migrating more than one user, repeat the previous three steps for each additional user.
The reason for skipping iCloud setup on first login is simply that Apple's idea of how iCloud should be configured may not be the same as yours.

Bon Chance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for all the advice, there were a few things you mentioned that I hadn't thought about, so truly appreciated.

Posts: 832 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Just started to move info from old macbook to new iMac but have run into an issue. When I plug in my backup drive it just mirrors what's on the new iMac finder which is just the basic empty folders. I would just like to copy over a few items, namely music and photos. If I try using migration assistant it says my backup drive needs attention. Any suggestions as to what I need to do would be helpful. If I reformat the backup drive and copy the folders I need to it, can I then drag them onto my iMac that way?

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Additional info: ran disk utility and all the info on the external backup drive was there and no problems were detected by disk utility. Drive still didn't show data when plugged into new iMac. Reformatted drive and copying individual items seems to work. Any ideas on what would cause this issue?

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
We need more information. Open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility on the machine with the external drive connected.
Select the external drive.
The bottom part of the information window should show GUID Partition Map. Does it?

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Checked both my backup drive and time machine backup drive and they both say Apple partition map not GUiD partition map.