Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Screen Sharing help needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screen Sharing help needed
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
I am trying to do Screen Sharing with my parents in Florida and can't seem to get it to work. I want to be able to take over their iMac when I can't walk them through something over the phone.

We are both running OS X 10.9
And both of us use Comcast & have WiFi routers (firewall issue?)

I can do screen sharing with Skype, but that does not let me control their iMac.

Anyone know of a good site with clear step by step instructions, I can't seem to find one that makes sense.

I've done this with Macs in the same household on the same network, but no luck connecting to one in a different household.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
My golden reference is:

“Take Control of Back to My Mac
Glenn Fleishman

TidBITS Publishing Inc.
50 Hickory Road
Ithaca, NY 14850 USA
http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/”

The troubleshooting chapter has information about router requirements for either NAT-PMP or UPnP. Appendix A has some very good explanations as well.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
I've used this app to control someone's computer while they were in Ireland.
TeamViewer

I haven't tried Messages for Mac yet, but supposedly you can do screen share from it as well.

Posts: 1619 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Why not use Sharing prefs?

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I've tried sharing prefs, but must have some setting wrong.
A few years ago I tried out Screen sharing with Terry via Messages, but not sure what/if we had to change anything.

I need something simple that I can walk my parents through for the initial setup. Even though I can see their screen via Skype, I still have to walk them through, EVERYTHING. And I need a free solution.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I've had the best luck through the Messages (previously iChat) app.

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
I'll second TeamView. It's free for personal use, and easy to talk someone through starting up. Because it uses a server to find both ends, it generally works through most firewalls. And they have an iOS app in case your parents need help while you are out and about.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Just tested out TeamView from my iPad mini to my iMac. While it did work, it resized all the windows on my iMac & moved them around on the screen. This would not be good if it does this to my parent's iMac. It also takes a bit more to setup and may be a bit too much to walk my parents through. Thanks for the suggestions of it, but I fear it will be more of a headache for both of us.

Still hoping to get it working via the Messages App.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You would have your parents download and run the "instant support" version - all they have to do is double-click the icon and read you the user number and password. Believe me, I have used this with very computer-illiterate people and it is fine. You do not have them download the full version. Look at http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx and look UNDER the full version for the "instant customer" version. You could also go further down and set up the "unattended access" version, but that may be hard for them to do the initial setup.

I haven't used it from the iPad for a while, so I don't know if there's an option to not resize - you might want to take a look deeper there.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Instant Support should do the trick. I will try it out with them this week!