Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    super duper help needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

super duper help needed
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted
Hello-- I cannot boot via my hard drive. I called Apple and he said that he thinks that it is a software issue and wanted me to erase my hd and restore with time machine. I am not a fan of erasing. I am now booted from my external drive using super duper. How do I get the copy of super duper from my external disk onto my hard drive? Thanks.

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Rhonda,

You can clone the external drive when you are booted from it by running SuperDuper! and specifying the external drive as source (left side) and the internal hard drive as target (right side).

The Apple tech gave you good advice, except for not recommending cloning back from your backup drive. You should use Disk Utility to produce a clean disk before copying back to it. Here's how.

The minimum is a First Aid > Repair Disk on the internal drive.
More sure is to Partition > 1 partition using Options > GUID for Intel or Options > APM for PPC.
Then run SuperDuper! as noted above. Be careful in setting the source and target!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
Thanks, James. But, now the hd drive doesn't show up at all. Apparently, my hard drive died and with out warning. Luckily, I have superduper and time machine backups. I have to take the computer to the apple store and get a new hard drive. I have apple care, so other than the inconvenience, everything should work out.

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Calvin would be proud of you.

Notice how easy recovery is with a backup.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
Calvin would be proud of you.

Notice how easy recovery is with a backup.

If my words are able to save just one of the village folk.... my job is not in vain.

Thank you Jim

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1728 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
Yes, a big thank you. I will be all set as soon as my computer is ready. I had very special videos and pictures on the drive and would have been very upset if I had lost it. The drive failed with basically no warning signs, too.