Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Moving "Home" folder problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving "Home" folder problems
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted
I tried moving my home folder off my boot drive by using the following directions:
http://chris.pirillo.com/how-t...der-in-os-x-and-why/

After the reboot I brought up Safari. Safari acted like it was a clean new install and had no history, no bookmarks, and no saved passwords. So I must have done something wrong. I went back to the original home folder and all was restored.

I want to move my home folder off my boot drive, so that an SSD can hold the remaining boot drive data. BTW, this is on my Mac Pro.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to move my home folder off my boot drive, so that an SSD can hold the remaining boot drive data. BTW, this is on my Mac Pro.

Question(s):

What do you really hope to accomplish? Keeping everything on the Boot drive and backing it up would seem to be the logical thing to do. What is the "benefit" of doing what you are trying to do? Also it would seem to be very severely restricting system usability. I can't believe that any speed improvement would be worth this much work, not to mention the expense.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
I listen to Leo LaPorte who is constantly having me spend money. SSD drives are limited in space, I can get a 250GB drive for just under $500..

My current boot drive has 260GB of data. I wanted to move the home folder to have enough space for the rest of my data which would be about 60GB on the SSD.

I hear with an SSD, application loading is almost instant. I have 3 other drives in my Mac. One 1.5TB for storage, Two 1TB drives joined in raid 0 for quick work space.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Have you considered getting rid of the not needed files that are loaded with OSX?

Language files, printer drivers and many others. Also are you using Snow Leopard which is smaller on it's own?

Are you continuously opening and closing the same apps over and over? If not where is the time saving? Possibly you might want to look into a 10,000 RPM drive in the 500GB to 1TB size range. They are considerably faster at loading programs and considerably less expensive than a 250GB drive for $500 dollars.

Cheetah® Hard Drive Family LINK

Seagate® Cheetah® drives are the standard for 3.5-inch 10K-RPM and 15K-RPM hard drives used in mission-critical server and storage solutions, where system availability and reliability are of utmost importance. Perfect For Large form factor, mission critical enterprise storage applications, in demanding network and server storage environments.

Key Features and Benefits

* Broad range of capacities—from 36 GB to 600 GB
* 6-Gb/s SAS 2.0, 3-Gb/s SAS, Ultra320 SCSI, and 2-Gb/s and 4-Gb/s Fibre Channel interfaces
* Cheetah drives with PowerTrim technology can deliver up to a 40 percent improvement in IOPS/watt performance.
* RoHS compliant
* Sustained data rates up to 150 MB/s
* Seek times as fast as 3.5 ms
* Highest reliability rating in the industry
* 5-year limited warranty

Try this in a Google search "Seagate ST3600057SS 6-Gb/s SAS 600 GB" Cost seems to be a little over $625.00 but it is also 600GB.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I have accomplished this on OS X server by following these steps ...

1: Creating the user account and home folder normally

2: Delete the newly created home folder

3: Create a Unix symbolic link to the folder I want to be the home folder in the "Users" directory and rename it accordingly.

4 Reset permissions on the various directories as needed.

Permissions play a big part in Unix in deciding what will work and what won't. If you tried what the article stated with no success, I'd check the read/write/owner permission on the new folder you just created.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post