Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Mac OS X special event next week (Oct 20)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac OS X special event next week (Oct 20)
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
AIM: Online Status For StevenGold
posted
(from CNET news):

.... Mac OS X will be getting its own special event October 20.

Invitations to a special event titled "Back to the Mac" showed up in tech press e-mail in-boxes just moments ago, featuring the above image of a lion peeking out from behind the Apple logo. Besides what we can assume will be an introduction of new Mac hardware, the invitation promises a peek at the "next major version of Mac OS X." Since past versions of the operating system have been nicknamed after large cats (Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard), it appears that "Lion" may well be the next version.

The event will be held at 10 a.m. at Town Hall on Apple's campus in Cupertino, Calif.

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
Good chance a new version of iWork will be announced. Maybe iWeb too. Keynote is known to be in beta and iWork has suddenly become in backorder status at many sellers which often happens when a product is about to be EOL'ed.

Also, credible rumors that a new MacBook Air will be announced -- it's overdue. Possibly in the form-factor of the previous gen of the iPod Nano. Wink

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Wall Street Journal speculates that the new/updated OS will have features that appeal to corporate use. Apparently they're on a move in that direction because the other devices are increasingly adopted or permitted for corporate use.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
Actually, if Apple's current direction continues, the GUI in 10.7 (Finder, etc) will be replaced by iTunes. You'll boot directly into iTunes and manage all your activities from its interface. Why do you think the current iTunes is now version 10? After the announcement, iTunes will be version 10.7.
Razz

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
Just heard that this "Back to the Mac" event will be streamed live.
I am particularly excited. My son's project will be featured. They even gave him a reserved seat in the front row. No, I don't know what it is, he couldn't tell me. I'll hear all about it with everyone else.

Jamie

Posts: 554 | Location: West Bloomfield | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Jamie,
Congratulations to you and your son! What a nice feeling it must be to know your kid was involved in such a huge project!

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
The only problem with the 11.6" MacBook Air for a photographer is the lack of an SD card slot.

Of course, you could use a wi-fi card in the camera, if there is one for your camera model.

iMovie 11 looks like it is beginning to be useful again, using iMovie HD as a reference.

I want to try GarageBand with multiple piano tracks to resolve rhythm errors.

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
I'm a little underwhelmed by Lion, and a lot disappointed that only iLife got updated -- not iWork. Frown

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
The only problem with the 11.6" MacBook Air for a photographer is the lack of an SD card slot.

Or get the 13" or just use the USB port and a card reader. Since I use mostly Compact Flash, I would have to do use a card reader.

The cost is reasonable... much better than the original Air.

Jamie

Posts: 554 | Location: West Bloomfield | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steven J Gold:
I'm a little underwhelmed by Lion

We've seen all of 2 minutes worth of it. I think it might be a bit early to pass judgement.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
I'm dubious of the full-screen mode features. It's being presented as a feature of the upcoming OS, ?and maybe already in the new iLife apps?

Photoshop Elements 6 (and apparently v.9, from last Sunday's MG presentation) is full screen. The problems:
1. The black interface makes menus, tools, etc. EXCEEDINGLY difficult to read. Very frustrating, not to mention inefficient.
2. When I call up a Help File item, it's not possible to have it on one side of the screen, while following instructions. Back & forth & back & forth, & back & forth, & try to remember the next step and what the tool looks like, etc., etc. (?Time to purchase a 3rd party book?)
3. The visual stress of changing from white on black in the app, and black on white in Help Files is not fun.
The only workaround I've found is to work from 2 monitors.

Full screen may be ideal when one knows an application thoroughly, but not if you're learning new features, or still using Help to figure things out. Hoping there will be "prefs" that make full screen voluntary. (It's not in PS Elements.)

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,

I've used full-screen mode with and without menu bar in Photoshop. It seems to work well at showing and hiding the menus. I would hope that Apple noticed this and will do something similar.

As to Apple Help, the user interface defaults are, at the very least, obnoxious. My least favorite is the hiding of all other windows behind the help window. Next is the lack of "comfortable" formats for the help text. I will not go further since this is a function of the help application, not the application being "helped".

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Jamie,

In my experience, my other half has been proven quite capable of losing any external reader in a very short interval. So, if and when I buy her a new MacBook of any stripe, it will include the card reader.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
Jamie,

In my experience, my other half has been proven quite capable of losing any external reader in a very short interval. So, if and when I buy her a new MacBook of any stripe, it will include the card reader.

The SD slot is fine for my point & shoot, but my DSLR uses CF (many higher end DSLRs do use CF). Thus, I have to have a reader with me anyway. They are small and I usually carry two(Hey, I'm quite capable of losing things too). Of course, other devices/work flows can be used for back up.

Jamie

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
The 11" MBA is the smallest screen-size Apple's ever made. Seems it's targeted at those who wanted a "Netbook". Are there any Netbook PCs with a build-in card reader?

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
James, you said "… I will not go further since this is a function of the help application, not the application being "helped"".

I disagree. If the "application being helped" came with a printed manual (like they all used to!), you wouldn't need the "help application" as much. Therefore, I *do* blame the application's publisher.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any Netbook PCs with a build-in card reader?

I can't answer that. But, according to the Apple Online Store, the 11.6" MacBook Air does not have an SD card slot.

See http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

Poobah
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to Apple Help,

Actually my issue is with the Adobe Help Viewer, not Apple Help. When you access Adobe Help Viewer with PSElements 6 open with image loaded, both windows and the OS Finder are visible onscreen. BUT, if you click to select Elements & try the Help steps, it reverts to full-screen, and the Adobe Help window is hidden. Thus the "back & forth" between Elements & Finder to read the Help instructions.

Thus my concern if the new Mac OS upcoming "forces" a full-screen view of ALL apps. Would be a deal-killer for me personally.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thus my concern if the new Mac OS upcoming "forces" a full-screen view of ALL apps. Would be a deal-killer for me personally.

Too many apps would be screwed up - I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any Netbook PCs with a build-in card reader?

Yes there is! My HP Mini has an SD card slot.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post