Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mac OS X    Deleted Keychain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deleted Keychain
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted
Is there a way to restore a deleted Login Keychain?

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
If you deleted the keychain.... No.

If you reset it... maybe.

What did you do?

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Deleted.

What do I need to do to start over?

Can it be restored from MobileMe?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Not if you have already synced the deletion. Do you sync automatically, hourly, daily, manually?

Do you have any backups?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
I have another computer on my MobileMe account. They both sync Manually. I haven't synced the deletion.

No Backup of OSX 10.6 yet, as I have been dealing with OWC and ProSoft concerning them selling a new Drive Genius 3 that won't boot from CD with Quad Macs. They say they're waiting for Apple to release an SDK for Snow Leopard.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
If you sync manually and haven't synced the deletion, you should be good to go.

Open MobileMe in System Preference, then select the Sync tab. Click on "Advanced..." in the lower right hand corner.

You'll get a new drop-down sheet covering the window. Wait for the button in the lower-left to change to "Reset Sync Data..." then click it.

In the "Replace" drop down that appears, select "Keychains", then make sure the animated arrow is pointing from MobileMe to the picture of the Mac and that the caption says "On this computer with sync info from MobileMe." Then click "Replace." You'll get a warning that this will whack your current keychain, that's OK (as you already did that).

It may take a while depending on how much data you had, and you might find that a few don't synch (I've had that problem) but you should be good with 99+% of them.

Waiting for a vendor is no excuse for not having a backup! Use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner or Disk Utility.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5473 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jack. That worked the trick Smile

This is the main reason why I've always avoided "automatic sync" -on anything!

I have SuperDuper; does it work with Snow Leopard Quad-Core Macs?

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arrakian:
I have SuperDuper; does it work with Snow Leopard Quad-Core Macs?
Yes.

-

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1989 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Give Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) a try I like it much better as the other choice trashed 4 drives on a Mac Pro 8 core one time.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Since yup have a second Mac, auto would not have hurt you. The other Mac would warn you if more than 5 or 25% of any item (keychains,bookmarks,etc) would have been changed (I don't recall which is the default). I always use auto to make sure my Mac stay in sync.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Stone:
...the other choice trashed 4 drives on a Mac Pro 8 core one time.

While restoring, or backing up? I've never had a problem with SD making HD dupes in Tiger (haven't tried it in OS10.6).

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
It did the damage while doing a backup. I used it Free for a few years then I decided to pay for it and within a few weeks it totally trashed my system. The only help I received from the developer was "My program cannot do that", so I agreed with him and never used it again.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arrakian:
Is there a way to restore a deleted Login Keychain?

Time Machine can restore a Keychain. I know Wink

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Join the club! heh. If there's a way to restore a keychain I've done it...

===